First Smoke this weekend...

Started by larryk, March 23, 2012, 11:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryk

I got my BS611 yesterday and am planning to do 2 butts this weekend. The schedule is chaotic so I'm trying to figure the timing of it all.

Going with the estimate of about 1.5 hrs/lb.....but I'm guessing that's if you're doing a single butt. Surely you don't double that if you're doing 2. Is there a rule of thumb for multiples?

mikecorn.1

On a butt I've never gone by hours per lb.  It's done when it reaches 195+ to me. I had an 8lb take 19 hours before. Others have taken less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

db14

Listen to Mike.  It will depend on the fat content of the butt.  I've had a 6 pounder take 14hours before and I've done two in that same amount of time.  Always overestimate your time.  You can always keep warm/reheat, if it's not done you're in trouble.  FTC is your friend.

larryk

Thanks guys. I did get the Maverick732 so I will definitely go by temp.  I was just trying to get a ballpark idea. I guess it's a big ballpark when doing butts!

watchdog56

Remember- don't worry when it gets around 160 and sits there for a few hours. It is supposed to do that,just don't open the door if your temps are ok.

larryk

Thanks watchdog. Regarding opening the door... I already planned on replacing the waterbowl with a 9x13 tray. Will that typically hold enough water to make it thru that many hours without refilling or is it really not that important?

watchdog56

I usually refill after my smoke time. Then check it before I go to bed and scrape any dripping off of v-tay with a putty knife.

beefmann

the 1.5 hr / lb is a rule of thumb, though  always relay on temp. like others  have stated some take less others  take  longer, i have had 14 lbs take 21 hours, while 10 has taken  under 12