Internal Temp for Ribs

Started by bwmoffit, April 29, 2012, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwmoffit

What is the desired internal tep for ribs, is 160f correct

mikecorn.1

When they've pull back off the bone at the end. No IT. GOOD LUCK.
Look at this link How to make ribs in a Bradley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoker John

Ditto, I just did some this weekend, 6 hours low & slow 3,2,1. Turned out great.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

dman4505

Just as Smoker John pointed out low and slow is the way to go

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Pachanga

It is tough to get  accurate internal temperature for ribs; not impossible but something that I don't use anymore.  I still may stick a probe between ribs to let me know when to start checking, but that is just to keep a closed environment.

I find it is better to let the ribs tell you when they are ready. 

As has already been mentioned, look for them to pull back from the end of the bones.  I use a couple of other tricks when interrogating ribs.

I smoke totally naked **(see below) so seeing the aforementioned is easy.  When that happens, I'll check for fork tender by twisting a fork in a meaty part of the rib.  It should start to pull apart easily during the twist. 

I then take my tongs and lift the rack in the middle.  It should have relaxed and bend easily without falling apart between ribs.  There will be a little spring and the stiffness will be gone.  This is the point when the ribs still have a little tug to them.  They'll come off the bone easily (with a little tug) but not fall apart.  That's the way I serve my ribs.

If the bend is not relaxed enough, go a little longer in the smoker.

I'll generally still use FTC (foil, towel, cooler) but if it is dinner time, let them rest a few minutes, slice and dig in.  Remember that FTC is going to continue to take the ribs down the road to Tender City; adjust take out time accordingly.

If you like fall off the bone ribs, leave them on until they start to break apart and crack when lifting in the middle.

It's your call.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

**I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?775-I-Prefer-to-Smoke-Totally-Naked&p=1176#post1176

cobra6223

I believe 10.5 does a 3-2-1 method, best ribs I ever ate.3 hours uncovered...2 hours wrapped in tinfoil with a bit of apple juice and then 1 more hour and they will fall off the bones.
Tim