CHE-Z Question

Started by BigRich, January 06, 2014, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

You should be good to go, I wouldn't go over 2 hours on your first cheese smoke.

BigRich

Thanks.  I had read two.  I'm smoking with Alder .  Think I should cut it back to 1.5?

ragweed

Alder is pretty mild.  I'd go 2 hrs.  I use apple, always for 2 hours.  But that's just me. 

Saber 4

I think you'll be good with 2, I use pecan and sometimes apple with cheese. The hardest part will be the month wait to try it, unless your willing to listen to 10.5 and get ashtray mouth.

BigRich

I won't.  Might let the wife try some though ;)

15 min left, then 1 hr bloom in the smoker.  I should be vacuum sealing by 10:45.  I'm sure my 2 year old will live that :0

Saber 4

Looks good, I rest mine on the counter for an hour and then into the fridge for a bit to firm up so it's easier to vac seal.

BigRich

ragweed

Congratulations!  Nice color.  Now the hard part....waiting.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on January 07, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
Congratulations!  Nice color.  Now the hard part....waiting.

x2, good job

BigRich

Thanks for your help guys!

Snoopy

a month.... mines good at the 3 week mark, wont argue it's all better with age, but i've been using at 3 and it tastes fine.

ragweed

I think I've read here that it depends on what type of cheese is smoked.  Some take longer than others, I guess.  I started out waiting 6 weeks.  Now I'm down to one month.  So far so good.  I'll have to try 3, Snoopy.

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on January 08, 2014, 12:44:09 AM
a month.... mines good at the 3 week mark, wont argue it's all better with age, but i've been using at 3 and it tastes fine.

Mine probably is to but I'm lazy and it's easier to just add a month to the smoke date to put the open date on my cheese labels. lol

KyNola

I have some cheese in my frig dated 07/12.  I'm thinking it should be just about ready right about now. :)

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on January 08, 2014, 07:05:48 AM
I have some cheese in my frig dated 07/12.  I'm thinking it should be just about ready right about now. :)

I bet that's going to be great.