My crystal ball sees cost to make sausage going down

Started by renoman, August 14, 2014, 07:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

So old Putin is cutting off all Canadian pork exports. 500 million dollar hit to our pork farmers. I see the cost of pork plummeting soon and sausage making season is just around the corner!

KyNola

You could also see a decrease in pork producers, forced out of business due to a 500 million dollar decrease in demand.  Be careful what you wish for.

ratherbboating

With the price of beef rising, pork may be a better choice for some.
Me, I was born a carnivore, so I eat both (and other things that don't move faster than me).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Saber 4

Most likely whomever they find to fill their pork needs will have to buy them from the original Canadian producers making it mostly a political gesture. It's not likely that there is an extra 500 million dollars worth of unaccounted for pork available on the open market and the demand in Russia will still need to be filled.

renoman

Well everything will level out in the long run but pork is going to plummet until they figure out what to do with 500 million dollars worth of hogs. Politics and trade are a slooooow moving train. Worst case scenario is that the farmers will just slaughter them now at a loss to cut their feed costs.