• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Buffalo Chicken jerky

Started by FLBentRider, May 17, 2009, 04:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I had an idea for buffalo chicken jerky, but I am a little unsure about the cure.

I usually do a dry cure and seasoning, I have been using the the hi mountain (bulk) cure and adding my own flavors - garlic and cracked pepper is the current favorite.

My idea was to cut a boneless chicken breast into strips, applying the cure, bag for 24 hours, then add a wet marinade of Tabasco.

One hour of mesquite followed by some time in the dehydrator.

The question is, can I combine the cure and marinade into one step ? I'm afraid that the Tabasco will dilute the cure and it won't do its job properly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

josbocc

FLB,

When I make my GB jerky, I combine the cure and spice, then mix 15 lbs. of GB with approx. 4 cups of water (or teriyaki, or apple juice, or bourbon etc.).  I don't think that the tabasco will have a negative effect on your cure, but then again, I've never tried doing stripped chicken breast.

Let us know how it turns out  ;)

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Roadking

As long as you keep the ratio of cure to weight of meat correct your OK. The other additives have no effect.
I can taste it already.

NePaSmoKer

FLB

Use the right amount of cure to the lbs of chicken your going to do. Dissolve the cure into your wet marinade. The tabasco will not hurt the cure. I have a post on chicken jerky somewhere here.

What i did was cut the breasts in half (thickness wise) and then place between plastic wrap and smack in thin with my meat whacker thingy  ;D Marinated it in my wet mix in the Reveo for 5 mins. I added some liquid smoke to the wet because i dehydrated the chicken.

nepas

Up In Smoke

FLB,
thanks for this post.
i have been considering grinding the chicken and using a commercial jerky kit.
i am very curious to see where this goes.
the only thing i would change would be the hot sauce...Franks is the best i have found so far.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

FLBentRider

OK - Here is what I have so far -

1.5 Lbs of boneless breasts - cut into 1/8 inch strips

2.5 teaspoons of Hi Mtn jerky Cure

1/2 Cup of Hot Sauce (I used crystal, I'll tune it up with the "good stuff" later)

Into the vacuum canister for 24 hours - It will probably end up being more like 48...

Pics:

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

Looking good!
cannot wait to see the finished product.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smokin Soon

That looks like a winner! I have been thinking about doing some chicken jerky soaked in a nice wing sauce mixed with some Yoshida. Now that I finally have my Cabela's 80l, my kist is growing for jerky stuff!

centflasmoker

So, how did the jerky come out? can't wait to hear!

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS

FLBentRider

It's done, actually it's about gone.

I need to find the pictures, I've been kinda busy lately..

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Pics:
Out of the cure / marinade:

After one puck of Mesquite:

After a rest in the 80L

All in all, the flavor is good. I'm going to try dark meat next time.

and make more.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

ok, this is making me want to try some Jerky.  Of course I think we just sold our Dehydrator in a yard sale last month.  Need to look around to see if we did sell it or not. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gizmo

Quote from: IKnowWood on May 28, 2009, 05:03:40 AM
ok, this is making me want to try some Jerky.  Of course I think we just sold our Dehydrator in a yard sale last month.  Need to look around to see if we did sell it or not. 

Now what you make you want to do that, unless......Ah yes, UPGRADE to bigger and better.    ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/