• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Extra Heating Element

Started by Sausage Guy, November 15, 2009, 02:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sausage Guy

Just finished modification of my OBS based on the Mike Walleye posting for the additional element - everthing went well - and I actually left the original reostat on the original elememt so I can have 1X power variable all the way to 2X - as the PID switches the whole element....

Anyway - my question to the modification guru's ...

1) what insulation do they use behind the element in the back of the OBS - the foam isulation back there was pretty fried.  Dark Brown and crispy.... I would like to install more insulation and get rid of the charred remains of the old foam.
2) Is it some type of high-temp foam as well....

Thanks and thanks for all the tips - I added the fan based on Raye Minor with the shield over the fan as well and the PID mod from Bubbagumps... .all excellent threads.

Had my smoker for 4 years - what a treat - think I have sold at least ten others after people do a little BBQ here.

Best - Let me know if you know.

Dave

Habanero Smoker

Hi fdkoh99;

Welcome to the forum.

I did this modification, and discovered the same problem. I didn't add any extra insulation, because Bradley installs extra insulation behind the element. It seems to be mineral wool, and the back never got any warmer then when I had one element. Plus with the PID your temperature are not going to get much hotter then with one element, the extra heat helps with temperature recovery.

Here is a link to the modification on my OBS. If you look at step #2 you see that I address this issue.

Additional Heating Element for OBS

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sausage Guy

Habanero,

do you always post your pictures at the other site and then link to them?

Your modification for the element is well documented.  I wonder if our OBS overheated sometime before we put in the PIDs - your pictures look exactly like the foam/insulation in the back of mine when I took the back off.

Sausage Guy

Habanero,

I forgot to mention I use your Brisket reciepe all the time and it delights the guests.

also - started this thread as FDKOH99 and switched to something more appropriate.

Mr Walleye

Sausage Guy

The insulation I used is Roxul Mineral Wool. It's rated at 2150 degrees. I just picked up a regular 16 x 48 piece of it and shaved it to the correct thickness with an electric knife. Here is a link to the company, it should be available at most building supply stores including Home Depot.

http://www.roxul.com/stone+wool/fire-resistance

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Sausage Guy

Mr Walleye  -Thanks - I will check it out.

Best

Dave

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Sausage Guy on November 15, 2009, 03:12:28 PM
Habanero,

do you always post your pictures at the other site and then link to them?

Your modification for the element is well documented.  I wonder if our OBS overheated sometime before we put in the PIDs - your pictures look exactly like the foam/insulation in the back of mine when I took the back off.

I believe the insulation melted shortly after I began to use it. I feel it would not have matter if I have it hooked up to my Raptor/Guru (which is another type of temperature controller), I can't recall it every getting over 260°F; prior to the modification.

I believe I posted those same pictures on this forum, but since it is also located on the recipe site it is easier to locate, and the information is formatted better on the recipe site.

The brisket recipe you are referring to is either Pachanga's or WesTexaSmoker. I understand the confusion, because I input the information so my name appears on the Sub-Forum, and Thread screens. You will find the actual author under the recipe name when you open the post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sausage Guy

Yep - I checked it was Pachanga's receipe and it was super ;^)