• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

a little (lot) of wine help please

Started by Up In Smoke, May 19, 2009, 03:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

I have a friend visiting tomorrow evening and she enjoys a glass of wine from time to time..
my problem is the only thing i know about wine is the way it is spelled :'(
not going to have a fancy dinner or anything, it is just kick back for an hour or so
enjoy a little camp fire chat.
she hinted that she enjoys a good Merlot.
looking for any help i can get.
maybe something that goes with hot dogs? :D :D :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

meatgeek

I'm not wine-snob enough to recommend anything by name by any means, but always enjoy going to the store to scope out interesting labels to try.  The folks at my local liquor store are ALWAYS very helpful and friendly in regards to good sippin' wines of any cost - and always remember not all cheap wines are bad and not all expensive wines are good...

One shopkeeper had hinted to me many years back that anything from Chile would be good.  So far, he's been right.  I also enjoy a Carmenere (?sp) when I find them, usually from Argentina.  I had made a game almost of trying to find things not from California or France (just to broaden my geography), and have enjoyed the wines I've found from Washington state, South Africa, and Australia. 

That probably doesn't sound like much help, other than ask at your local shop, my shop keepers have always lead me down entertaining paths.  But if in doubt, buy the Chilean!

Murphy

Caneyscud

Merlot is hard to go wrong with.  It is a grape that is particularly good from Washington State.  Don't know what the price range is or even what they cost now, but look for a Columbia Crest Winery or especially Chateau St. Michelle if you want to impress.  Columbia Crests are probably in the3 $10 range, St. Michelle's are probably in the $20 or more range.  Some of the 1.5 liters like Blackstone, Sutter Home, Beringer, Woodbrridge are really good.  The Australian Yellowtail Merlot is pretty good.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

UIS,
The other two have given you some good choices from some nice vineyards.  If you will, allow me one more vineyard, Rosemont Estates.  Don't sweat it.  Go to a reputable wine shop and simply ask for a recommendation.  Give them a price range and let them do the rest.

Enjoy your visit with a good friend.  They're the best.

KyNola

IKnowWood

From a wine snob, let me tell you.  Chile is difficult, it has wide swings and price does not help.  i have a close friend from Chile that attests what we can get here is not a good showing and she has proved it with some gifts.

As for good items, Chateau St. Michelle is good.  Pricy but good.  Blackstone Cheap, don't like much.  Yellowtail is ok, but I prefer the Shiraz or the Shiraz Genache blend better.  Avoid the Woodbridge Red's  they are not that good (whites are ok thou).  I would recommend a Beringer or Stone Creak (Beringer product) Merlot.  But if you want to impress and bring a new bling and not spend to much there are two things to look for. 

1) Hayman Hill Meritage - Its a blend of several grapes that changes in texture and flavor as its consumed and aired.  Its by far am amazing bottle of red, price is not to bad.  This is my all-around favorite wine for casual enjoyment.

2) Menage a Trois Red Table wine - This is a great blend also from the Folie a Deux Winery.  Its also a blend of grapes that is really neat.  This is a great treat, price is better than the Meritage. 

As you can see I like a blend, but you need to think of what else you are serving food wise.  These blends work well with many items but with more beef and hardier food, something else might work.  Or more poultry or cheese others work. 

How did the visit go?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Tenpoint5

Hot Dogs = Boones Farm Strawberry Hill. Those where the days when we thought we had it all!!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!