Sun-dried Tomatoe

Started by OU812, May 07, 2009, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Can someone splain to me how to make Sun-dried Tomatoe's ?

What would be the best Tomatoe for doing this ?

I do have a Dehydrator if I need it to make them.

Thank's

Buck36

I use a Roma tomato. They can't get much easier to make. I cut them in half and throw them on the trays. Dehyrate them until the are pliable much like jerky. I put them in vac bags and into the freezer. Nothing better in the middle of winter! 

If you want something good cut a fresh one in half and drizzle with olive oil. Put some grated parmesean on top and throw on the grill or in the smoker. I love them!

OU812

Buck

Do you put the cut side up or down?

Do you need to put on some flavor enhancer or something like that to keep them from turning black or is fruit the only thing that does that?

Buck36

I put them cut side up until they dry out some. When I do mine they have one side that dries out more than the other. I keep flipping them until they become pliable. I don't do any seasoning or preservatives.

unclebuck

I also use the Roma tomatoes, quartered and seeds removed.  Into the dehydrator until pliable(flesh side up initially)turning them as necessary.  No spices.  I put them in small jars and cover with extra virgin olive oil.  Great in any marinara sauce.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Caribou

So, you don't need the sun to make them?  ;)
Carolyn

OU812

Sounds good.

I'v ben meening to do something like this so I have my own tomatoes for the winter mounths when we make chilli and stuff.

I'v ben doing peppers like this for a couple years now was wandering if it would work with tomatoes.

Any more ideas out there would be great.

Thanks.

Roadking

Quote from: unclebuck on May 12, 2009, 10:07:26 PM
I also use the Roma tomatoes, quartered and seeds removed.  Into the dehydrator until pliable(flesh side up initially)turning them as necessary.  No spices.  I put them in small jars and cover with extra virgin olive oil.  Great in any marinara sauce.

Wife and I do the exact samething. Into mason jars and hot pack them just to get a vacumn in the jar.