• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital Thermometer

Started by DTH, May 25, 2009, 11:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTH

It looks I will need of a digital thermometer and was thinking of a Maverick ET-73 which seems to be a choice of many of you, or should I be looking at something else ? and does anybody know where I can purchase one in Canada, preferably western Canada (eastern BC or western AB) Thanks in advance. :)
Don  

lumpy

I live in Ontario and could not find a retailer here. I bought one (ET-73) from Brian at Yard and Pool.

Lumpy

kaz

I trust that you prefer not to use eBay? I just found (and bought) one on eBay for $41, shipped.
Seemed like a great deal after looking at Amazon and other sites.
KAZ

Caneyscud

The ET-73 is great because of the dual probes - monitoring two things at one time is awesome - cabinet temp and meat temp. or two meat temps, or monitoring cabinet temps in two different places.  The only other thermometer I find handy is a Themapen Instant read thermometer.  I do a lot of briskets and lots of smokes with lots of types and sizes of meats.  With the briskets, I know it is going to take a long time, and and I'm used to the thermometer on the front of my smokers and I could care less what the meat is doing for doing for 14 hours of a 15 hour smoke.  So I use the Thermapen to tell me when to take out the meat.  Sometimes I could have a brisket, a fatty or two, some chicken thighs, some sausage, a butt or whatever on at the same time.  I don't have that many Maverick's, so I just check them all with the Thermapen.  Or when doing a couple dozen thighs, I can check each one to tell when one can come off and when it has to stay.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

canadiansmoker

Quote from: DTH on May 25, 2009, 11:54:24 AM
It looks I will need of a digital thermometer and was thinking of a Maverick ET-73 which seems to be a choice of many of you, or should I be looking at something else ? and does anybody know where I can purchase one in Canada, preferably western Canada (eastern BC or western AB) Thanks in advance. :)
Don  

DTH, I too have found it a real pain to try and find one in Canada. Try bbqs.com. I know that they now have them in stock and they are in Canada. Also I believe you can order one from Home Hardware (at least you use to be able to). Do a search on this site for the actual part number. You'll need that as most stores don't have them in stock. I ended up ordering mine from Bryan at Yard and Pool as even with the exchange rate and shipping it was still cheaper than any other store I could find, and the service is second to none.

Stephen

DTH

Thanks for all the replies guy's.

Thanks canadian smoker, I'll try the places you sugested.

Thanks Caneyscud, I'll prob look into a Themapen to use along side with the Maverick, but I think need something like the Maverick first because with the pen I'll have the door open every 15 min checking the temp.

Thanks kaz, was that shipped to the US or Canada ? I've found that buying from an ebay seller in the US shipping is a killer and then when customs get a hold of it they want you to bend over and take it some more.

Thanks Lumpy, I'll check Yard and Pool.

Don.