• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Using HM as a wet marinade

Started by pullinpork, May 31, 2009, 03:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullinpork

Has anyone tried adding water to HM seasoning for whole muscle meat to make a wet marinade. I think it would turn out better. Just looking for anyone else's opinnion

NePaSmoKer

Yeah but HM is still lousy as a wet marinade too.

nepas

jaeger

Quote from: pullinpork on May 31, 2009, 03:46:09 PM
Has anyone tried adding water to HM seasoning for whole muscle meat to make a wet marinade. I think it would turn out better. Just looking for anyone else's opinnion

Why do you want to add water to a product that you are going to try to remove the moisture from?
Seriously, if you are trying to use less of the seasoning or avoid some of the salt, just use less seasoning. If you are worried about the amount of cure by using less, just keep the finished product refrigerated which I would highly recommend anyway.

bflosmoke

Nepas
I have seen a couple of times that you are not a HM fan is it using the dry cure instead of liquid or is just the flavor. Also would I get better results with insta cure and dry seasoning than using HM
Tom

pullinpork

The reason I am asking this is I like to use a wet marinade, but a friend gave me a bunch of HM. It doesn't seem to take on the flavor as well as when using a wet marinade.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: bflosmoke on June 01, 2009, 07:04:43 AM
Nepas
I have seen a couple of times that you are not a HM fan is it using the dry cure instead of liquid or is just the flavor. Also would I get better results with insta cure and dry seasoning than using HM
Tom

I just never could get my jerky to come out good with it. Seems like i had to add more and more.  You can get a better jerky by doing a wet marinade and adding the correct amount of cure to it.

nepas

pullinpork

NePaS, could you give me the recipe you use for a wet marinade. I usually do it in 5 lb batches.

Thanks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pullinpork on June 01, 2009, 10:15:07 AM
NePaS, could you give me the recipe you use for a wet marinade. I usually do it in 5 lb batches.

Thanks

Here is one of the wet marinades i use allot. You can adjust the ingredients to your taste or add a splash of JD, Wild Turkey or just about any whiskey or bourbon.

For 5 lbs

1. 2 1/2 cups soy sauce
2. 3T brown sugar
3. 3t garlic powder or to taste
4. 2t ginger powder
5. 2T black pepper or to taste
6. 1t cure #1 (just slightly less)
7. 2T red pepper flakes (opt)
8. 1 cup distilled water (makes the marinade go farther for the 5 lbs)
9. 5lbs of strips cut 1/2" thick

Options you can add are liquid smoke, Worcestershire and teryaki sauce all to taste.

Mix all the ingredients together (except meat) in a large bowl. Let stand while you cut the meat. Place meat in bowl adding marinade and strips alittle at a time, stir or toss strips, continue with adding strips and marinade. This will ensure the strips get marinade all over them (unless you have a Reveo) Marinade overnight in the frideg covered. Next day take strips lay on your racks and let sit at room temp for 1.5 hours or until marinade is kinda dry or tacky.

If you use TQ in place of the cure you might want to talk to Habs, i dont use TQ in jerky. Dont add any salt, the soy has enough in it, unless you like major salty jerky.

Smoke or dehydrate as you would normally or to the softness you like.

CAUTION: Do not reuse your marinade after it has been with the meat. Dump it if your doing more than 5lbs and make a new batch

Hope this works fo ya  ;D

nepas

pullinpork

Thanks NePas, I am going to try a batch with this recipe this weekend, I let you know how it turned out.

lumpy

Hey NePas,
I've never used cure in my jerky. Am I doing it wrong?

Lump

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on June 03, 2009, 07:57:01 PM
Hey NePas,
I've never used cure in my jerky. Am I doing it wrong?

Lump

Your ok as long as you keep the temp above 140* If you cold smoke you should use cure and for pork, poultry jerky.

When i make jerky and start at 150* i dont use cure. But if the jerky is going to my sons overseas i use cure , sometimes it takes 3 weeks before they get it.

nepas