Just got a new digital Bradley and am new to forum

Started by djkost, August 05, 2009, 05:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkost

Well after years of using other types of smokers I finnally got a Bradley. I just got done doing the first oven cure and trying to understand how to use it. I did notice that when I set the oven temp to 160F the internal temp read 158 to 171F. I put another temp gauge 6 inches into the top vent and that reading was close to the internal temp that was displayed on the smoke generator. I suppose that about as close as I can get it considering the outside air temp. Any how I'm looking foward to trying to smoke my first 30 pounds of pork in the next week with it. I do know this, if the wood advance works like it is suppose to it will sure make my smoking time more enjoyable. I use to have to always add wood. Now I hope I can just set it and enjoy the minnesota weather before it snows in Sept. LOL :D

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum djkost!

The oven temp swings are normal.

If it snows, cold-smoke some cheese.

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of my post, it will take you to our recipe site. You should check it out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome jdkost from your neighbor to the east. You will enjoy using that Bradley and have come to the right place for answers. Ask questions and keep that vent open.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

Mike

OU812

Welcome to the fun dj

The temp will bounce around the set temp till the product gets close to the cabnet temp then it will hold pretty steady

Unlike other smokers with the Bradley you will only need about 4 hr smoke the rest is just cooking

pensrock

mikeradio

KyNola

Welcome DJ.

Noticed you are going to smoke 30 pounds of pork.  One thing you should, if you are going to smoke 30 pounds of meat all at one time, don't despair when it takes quite a while for the temp in the tower to recover once you put the meat in.  30 pounds of cold meat will really knock the heat down for some time.  Try preheating the unit before you put the meat in.  Also, take the meat out of the frig for at least an hour before you intend to put it in the smoker.  One final thing, some of us wrap bricks in tin foil and put them on the tray next to the water bowl to aid in temp recovery.

Have fun and let us hear about your results!
KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there dj and welcome to the Bradley family.

I agree with Ky regarding the brick it make recovery much quicker. There are excellant folks on this forum who would bend over backwards to help so never be shy to ask any thing.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Smokin Soon

Hey DJ! Welcome to friendly bunch of smoking folks. It will get a little harsh on your credit card as you get the goodies that you need, but it's all good. Hope you have a great time here!

pkcdirect

Welcome DJ, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

muzzletim

Welcome!!! You will find a great bunch of people on the forum willing to help you with any issues you might have
Tim