• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

CRAP!

Started by gbsorenson, July 13, 2009, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

GB, Beef Roasts can be a quite difficult cook because of fat content. I do not even do them anymore. One will be perfect, and the other will be shoe leather using the same meathod. Try a briskit with the WTS
tutorial and enjoy some beef!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=525

OU812

Good looking roasts gb.
Glad you got the pleasure to smoke something with your new tool.
Now your going to have to keep the smoke rolling so you don't need sun glass's when you open it up.
When I do beef roasts mainly chuck I will go by the fork test more than the IT to get it as tender as needed.
After the smoke I do like you did and wrap in foil till done that helps to keep from drying out.
The fun has just begun.

Caneyscud

Glad you're up and running (uhh smoking)!   As Ky and Mikecorn posted seriously evaluate what you intend on smoking - the ET73 or some other remote reading thermo is all you might need.  And Smoking Soon had some great advise also - roasts are very variable, and I prefer briskets anyways - Usually less expensive, about the same shrinkage loss, and since they are bigger, you have more leftovers!!!  But if you do more roasts, the IT needs to be more than 165 to be "tender", which most will say is "pull apart".  Its of 185 up to 205 give pull apart, so use fork test to be sure.  And as far as drying out - you can always "foil and splash" after your initial smoke time.  That way the roast sets in it's own little sauna, getting tender just for you!   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"