Another Week Of Smoking

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 13, 2009, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

One of the butts is done. This is the Traeger butt, the Bradley butt is still going.

nepas

seemore

nepa wow someday you cook to much food great job again
seemore

Smokin Soon

Look's mighty fine there Nepa! All I could do today was some Brats and a small rack in the Treager, Brats dissolved so quickly there were no pics. I used the mustard sauce on them. Really interested in your comparison on the 2 butts.
My second batch of ribs on the pellet pooper using 1/3 hickory garlic and onion pellets. This is fun stuff!

NePaSmoKer

Looks great SS. Im wanting ribs real bad too.

Here is the butt from the Bradley. This butt was a couple pnds bigger than the butt from the Traeger. I took the IT of the butt to 210*
Pulled pretty good and it was just as moist and tender as the Traeger butt. I injected both with Cajun hickory BBQ which helped keep the Bradley butt moist.

I think if you know what your doing you can achieve great results with any smoker/cooker.

The Bradley butt took 12 hours 45 mins. Could just be that my ol BS is worn out  :D

The Bear paws work great to pull and shred. Note to the new members. No smoke ring like there is with the Traeger. Its just fer looks anyways  ;D

In to the pan, cover and ready for sat.

The pork would be great in homemade tamales or some puffy tacos  ;D

nepas

HawkeyeSmokes

Awesome looking butts there Nepas. I would be proud to eat either one. (Or maybe some of each)
HawkeyeSmokes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 15, 2009, 08:01:49 PM
Awesome looking butts there Nepas. I would be proud to eat either one. (Or maybe some of each)

Come on over, starts at noon this sat  ;D

nepas

Caribou

In the words of the Great Nepas:
"Wowsers!"
So there,
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 15, 2009, 08:04:40 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 15, 2009, 08:01:49 PM

Come on over, starts at noon this sat  ;D

nepas

If only I didn't have to work this weekend.  :'( I know, I can tell the boss I can't because
I have to make an emergency trip to to PA this Saturday. I know he will understand.  :D

Just pulled some spares out of the freezer to smoke tomorrow so should have a fair meal at least..

Thanks for the offer!!
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Looks like the family and friends are going to have some good pulled pork and I'm sure allot of other fixens this weekend.

NePaSmoKer

Yeah i hope they enjoy cuz i'm whuupd

I have have a family reunion in Aug that i found out i have to do 2 briskits and 2 butts for  :o

maybe i will get a few days off to go swimming in the pool  :D  ;D

nepas

OU812

I hear ya about being whuupd.

I also have a pool and have only ben in it 2 times this summer.  :(

Blue Legend

Well another great recipe for me to try, thanks Nepas.  A question though........ on a few roasts i notice some are smoking for a couple of hours then wrapping in foil and placing back in the BS without smoke. How long did you smoke these butts for??  Did you wrap these butts in foil??  and what is the point of wrapping in foil??  My guess would be to retain the moisture..

Cheers
Richard

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 16, 2009, 12:26:08 PM
Well another great recipe for me to try, thanks Nepas.  A question though........ on a few roasts i notice some are smoking for a couple of hours then wrapping in foil and placing back in the BS without smoke. How long did you smoke these butts for??  Did you wrap these butts in foil??  and what is the point of wrapping in foil??  My guess would be to retain the moisture..

Cheers
Richard

Richard

If you use your smoker long enough you really wont even need smoke because you will have a smoke flavor permeate into the food from the heating of the walls that have the smoke coating on them. Most only apply smoke from 1 to 4 hours then wrap, boat or bring to the house oven. I go a full unwrapped cook until i get IT of the meat of 190 to 210*  The Bradley butt only had 2 hours 20 mins of smoke and the rest of the time was just heat with the smoke gen off. Total time was 12 hours 45 mins. The Traeger is always getting slight smoke. Even if you wrap the butt in foil the convection will get smoke into the meat.
So wrapping boating helps retain moisture and aids in faster cooking. Even when you FTC the meat will still cook from the IT heat leval inside the meat.
Hope this helps some

nepas

Blue Legend

Absolutely Nepas, thanks very much ;D