Temperature Control

Started by degenerazn, July 21, 2009, 10:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

degenerazn

Can anyone explain how that temperature control slider at the bottom works?  I'm playing around with it but it doesn't seem to do much.

Also, I put in my ribs just a min ago when the internal temp of the OBS hit 230degrees, now its at around 115degrees, is that normal?  Will it eventually hit 220degrees and when it does how can I keep the temperature there?  Do I just slide the temperature control to off?

FLBentRider

Its an analog control.

All the way to the right is MAX. You just kind of have to fiddle with it.

Depending on how many racks of ribs you put and what temp there were when you put them in (did you leave them out for 30 minutes or so?) it may take a while to get back to 220.

When you get to the temp you want, move the slider to the left until the light goes out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

degenerazn

I've got 2 racks of baby backs and 2 racks of spare.  Its been around 115 for a while but I already start the bisquette feeder.  Should I stop it until it reaches 220?

FLBentRider

I would just let it roll.

The smoke will work at lower temps.

That sounds like ~20lbs of meat. If it was cold out of the fridge, it is going to be a while before the door thermometer indicates 220, but as long as the element is glowing, cooking is happening.

Just move the slider all the way to the right, back it off a hair, and be patient.

Also, the door thermometer is not known for its accuracy.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

degenerazn

My ribs have been in the smoker for nearly 3 hours now and it still hasn't reached 200 degrees yet, looks like this will take a lot longer thane expected.

FLBentRider

How many degrees is it indicating?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

degenerazn

About 175 deg.  Its been 4 hours so I've stopped smoking.  They look good to eat now but not quite falling off the bone yet.  Now I'm boating them for another hour then gonna sauce them

FLBentRider

The Spare ribs are going to take longer than the baby backs.

I'd leave them in an hour or so longer.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

degenerazn

Thanks for the help BentRider.  I'll be sure to post my results in a few hours.  I'm hungry and anxious to see how they'll turn out

FLBentRider

No Problem.

When it comes ribs and "Fall off the Bone", your patience will be rewarded.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!