Just another Midwest Smoker

Started by jholman76, July 22, 2009, 11:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jholman76

Hey everyone. Just going to say hey. I'm from South Dakota and I've been trolling the boards for the last week seeing what all the delicious hubbub was about.

I just got my OBS this week and have yet to sail it on its maiden voyage. A friend and I bought 3 (one for his dad, too) OBS from Cabela's on there $199 bonanza sale. We live near a store, so we picked them up locally, so even better deal. We also jumped on the Bubba Puck Bandwagon and got 3 each and some jerkey screens for when deer hunting comes around. Man, this is looking to be the best puchase I have made in a while!

We are lucky because we have a local Scheels Sporting good store in town that sells the bisquettes at about the same price anywhere on-line that I have been able to find (minus the Amazon 4 for 3 deal, but its worth the 4 bucks to forego shipping time).

I'm very excited to get it running. I've already started making sauces and rubs and the dang thing isn't even out of the box yet!

Great forum... I've been extremely impressed by everyone's willingness to help and share recipes. I love that.

hope to post some pics very soon... got a 15 lb shoulder already also. This weekend already smells smokey!!

-Joe
-Joe

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jholman76!

Smoking is addictive....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

Don't forget to season your smoker.

and welcome aboard jholman76

kaz

Let me add another W E L C O M E to the forum.
We've seen a few posts about damaged OBS's from Cabelas but they were likely all shipped. I trust all 3 of yours were fine? Don't miss the recipe site, too ....... great stuff!!
KAZ

jholman76

The box for the OBS was in great condition, so I'm hoping its ok. I'll find out tonight when I season it.

Smoking is addictive. I'm not even out of the box yet and I'm hooked on the creativity of it.

Also, I did find the recipie site last week. Wow, thats some great stuff on there. This is going to be way to easy to start!

thanks again
-Joe

OU812

Quote from: jholman76 on July 22, 2009, 12:02:02 PM
The box for the OBS was in great condition, so I'm hoping its ok. I'll find out tonight when I season it.

Smoking is addictive. I'm not even out of the box yet and I'm hooked on the creativity of it.

Also, I did find the recipie site last week. Wow, thats some great stuff on there. This is going to be way to easy to start!

thanks again

Dont ever let your other half here you say "this smoking stuff is easy" or you will be hunted down by the smoker police.  ;D

Welcome to the fun

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum jho.

Smoke everything  ;D

nepas

Caneyscud

Quote from: OU812 on July 22, 2009, 12:46:08 PM
Quote from: jholman76 on July 22, 2009, 12:02:02 PM

thanks again

Dont ever let your other half here you say "this smoking stuff is easy" or you will be hunted down by the smoker police.  ;D

Welcome to the fun

Great catch OU.  Time to drag out the pledge before this gets too far   ;D

Raise you right hand, step on your left toe, close both eyes and read after me

We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys.

BTW jholman, welcome to the forum and the fun.  It's an adventure that is only bounded by your imagination and your wife's tolerance and like of smoked goodies.  Don't forget to post pics
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

sodak