First smoke ribs

Started by joerom, July 29, 2009, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerom

Hello everyone,I know you guys like pictures,so I have added some.This is my first attempt at smoking in the Bradley.I made baby back ribs.I followed the instructions that came from Olds Place from Tenpoint5.I used the PID set at 225,and it stayed right there.I used Jim Beam bisquettes.They came out perfect.The meat pulled clean off the bone,the way I like it.The Bradley smoker is a hassle free joy to use.For a novice smoker like me to get these results the first time,really says somthing for the machine.The PID also makes it easy,because I SET IT and FORGET it.The only downside to this(although not really),is that when I picked this up at Cabellas,I got some of their rib rub to get me started.Although it was good,it was not really my type of taste.I will experiment with various rubs until I get the flavor I want.I had also picked up some Cookshack rib rub while I was there,but may not use it.I may start with the recipe from Olds Place with the article on how to make the competition ribs.Also,there is one from WTS that I might try,but it is a very long recipe,and makes a couple gallons of rub.

mikecorn.1

That looks really good. Great job.  :P
Mike

easyridinole

Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Congrats joerom, 1st of many great smokes I'm sure.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caneyscud

Bingo! - gold stars awarded and out of the gate also!  Great job.  Now next time use spareribs and get set for an even better eating adventure!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

joerom

I made a mistake and said I want to try the rub from WTS(which I do),but I meant the rub from Raye Minor,Olds Place,which is the award winning rub.That is the one that I meant was a very long recipe,and makes a very large amount.I am getting confused with what I am looking at,because there is so m uch info here,sorry,Joe.

Roadking

Look good to me joerom. Welcome!

Tenpoint5

Some great Looking Ribs there Joe!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: joerom on July 29, 2009, 03:32:43 PM
I made a mistake and said I want to try the rub from WTS(which I do),but I meant the rub from Raye Minor,Olds Place,which is the award winning rub.That is the one that I meant was a very long recipe,and makes a very large amount.I am getting confused with what I am looking at,because there is so m uch info here,sorry,Joe.

When I first read your post I decided to look at the recipe. I have to agree that is a lot of rub to make for the home user. I scaled it down to 1/20th. I know it a little late now, but the next time (possibly in 20 years  ;D) when you need more you can just make 1 1/4 cups at a time.

Award Winning Dry Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joerom

Habanero Smoker ,I did not make your recipe for rub yet,but I was going to.I am so glad you scaled it down,and thank you.I would like to try it on ribs and brisket.Is there any special seasoning salt you use.I see it in the stores,but I don't know if there is a difference in them.There is so many good recipes on this site that I am having overload,Joe.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: joerom on July 30, 2009, 06:05:17 PM
Habanero Smoker ,I did not make your recipe for rub yet,but I was going to.I am so glad you scaled it down,and thank you.I would like to try it on ribs and brisket.Is there any special seasoning salt you use.I see it in the stores,but I don't know if there is a difference in them.There is so many good recipes on this site that I am having overload,Joe.

Hi Joe;

I would like to take credit for this rub, because it does look good. I don't know who the original author is other then by the name of Jim. I haven't made it yet, but planning to do so this weekend. Use your own favorite seasoning salt. For myself, I'm a big fan of Lawry's seasoned salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

weekend smoker

I like Famous Daves rib rub. the weekend smoker