Temp. Accuracy?

Started by DjSaneR, August 27, 2009, 12:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

I'm almost ready to purchase the 6 rack digital smoker but have a question about the temperature control.  How accurate is this unit at maintaining a target temperature? 

I ask this because I'm very new to the smoking world and have only smoked several racks and chickens with my cousin's 4 rack digital.  It seems like everything cooked faster than what I've been researching.  Example: Beef ribs - I was reading that it would take between 5-6 hours @225°F for them to complete, http://www.bbq-fyi.com/beef-ribs-recipe.html (Source from which I obtained the information), however, my ribs were almost OVER cooked after 4 hours, not to mention we cooked @ 220°F instead of 225°F since the Bradley temperature control can only be adjusted in increments of 10°F.

Has anyone ever used a temperature probe to check the accuracy?  Where would you place the probe for the best temp. reading?

The smoker was in a shade on his deck. Little to no wind and it was about 80-85 degrees.  Don't know if that makes a difference but I figure I'd throw that out there.

Thanks,
Matt

Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there DjSaneR and welcome to the forum,

some more experienced folks will be coming soon to guide you through the temp control.

I have the BDS 6 rack as well as the ET 73 and I have noticed some difference between the temp readout on the Bradley smoke generator and the ET 73 probe. I usually place the probe below my first or second rack. Most readings I have done tend to agree that the prob readout is more accurate than that of the smoke generator. Reason being that the sensor between the generator and the tower measures the temp of the tower's back side which is metal and reach higher temps than those in the middle of the smoker. One of the reasons I ordered the PID.

One of your Major object should be to have the meat reach a certain safe internal temperature. That is where the meat probes would come in handy. Once that temp is reached, and it should be measured in the thickest part of the meat, its chow time.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pkcdirect

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum..

You should always go by internal temperature of the meat not cabinet temperature or cooking temperature or time. 

Most built in thermometers are notorious for being wrong. An internal probe inserted into the center of the meat you are cooking will give you the internal temperature of the meat.

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Matt,

I have the BDS6 and there are temp variations. But it's really not a problem for most things. I am guessing here but I would think the 6 rack is going to cook a bit slower than the 4 because of having a larger cabinet size. I like to hang the remote temp sensor from the lowest rack I'm using with it set off to the side. I don't want it under the meat to avoid juices from dripping on it.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum, look like they got you covered.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi Matt;

Welcome to the forum.

I have the original. When using an external probe to check the cabinet temperature I always locate it under the bottom rack, hanging it at least 1 1/2" below the rack. That is going to be about the hottest area in a loaded smoker. If you it above the meat, or in between racks you are going to get a much lower reading, and the bottom rack will be exposed to temperatures higher then your target temperature. Most of the time I will rotate the racks front to back and top to bottom for more even cooking.

I quickly scanned over the article you provided a link, and they did point out one very important piece of information; in the same cut of meat you will find a variance in tenderness/toughness. It did say in the article that it could take as little as 4 hours. The the amount of meat in the smoker, amount of meat on the bone, and what you consider to be "done" may be different. All of this and other variables will influence the time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DjSaneR

Thanks for your replies, guys! Now this temperature probe.. Can someone provide me with a link to one?  The one my cousin had was something similar to this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DIU49?tag=smokercooking-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0000DIU49&adid=11H55WNMM2Y56CRQEVP5&; , but we were unsure as to where to place it.  It has a wire attached to the probe and a hand held wireless display.  If this is the correct one would we simply run the probe and wire from the exhaust at the top of the box, down to the 1st rack?

As for the meat probe.. I found this one http://www.homehealthandfitness.com/product.asp?itmky=226818&s=froogle .  For a brisket, I assume you would insert this to the middle of the meat?  Would the exposed part of the temp probe affect it's reading or does the probe only take it's reading from the tip?

Total newbie here so I apologize if these are stupid questions  :-\

Thanks again,
Matt
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

KyNola

Matt,
There are no stupid questions here so ask away.  The temp monitor you have a link to on Amazon is the very one that many of us here use.  It is the Maverick ET-73.  It is a dual probe unit.  One probe measures the temp in the box while the other probe measures the internal temperature of the meat you are cooking.  It is much more accurate than the BDS.  It also has several neat features.  You can set alarms to let you know if temp is getting too cold or too hot.  It has a wireless satellite receiver that allows you to be elsewhere and monitor the temps.

Would recommend it.

KyNola

OU812

Darnnet, I got a phone call in the middle of my reply.  ;D

What KyNola said on every thing  ;D

There are no stupid questions only stupid people afraid to ask  ;D

BBQdDude

QuoteFor a brisket, I assume you would insert this to the middle of the meat?

If a whole packer cut, being point and flat, I would insert into the flat horizontally for the best point to go by.

Take care,

Brian

DjSaneR

Ok so for the box temperature would I simply run the probe and wire from the exhaust at the top of the box, down to the 1st rack?

Again, thanks for all your replies and advice!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

KyNola

Matt,
You can run the probe down through the vent or simply open the door, put the proble where you want it and close the door.  The wire is so thin, you will not lose any smoke and the door will seal.  Same way with the meat probe.  My meat proble always goes through the door.  As for where to place the box probe.  If you're running a full load I would place it on the underneath side of the next to bottom rack.. If you're running a single rack, I would place it underneath the rack you are using.

KyNola

DjSaneR

Great thanks for clearing some of the clouds, guys!  I'll keep you posted with my progress!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer