• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rytek snack sticks!

Started by muzzletim, August 14, 2009, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzzletim

My wife has a annual girls get away so I was home alone. I decided to make some snack sticks. I got everything mixed up and opened a package of 20 mm casings to stuff them in. I have a cheap tin plated stuffer that works good for my bigger sausages. I could not get the casings to fit!!! Very frustrating, but I quickly reverted to plan B! I had some collagen casings that I had used before, even though I don't like them that much I started to stuff. My small plastic tube did not want to allow my mixture to go through, naturally I felt I needed to put more pressure on my stuffer. So I got my 250 #  of body weight all on the handle and really put some pressure on the stuffer. I blew out the plastic tube, it had broke where the flange and the collar of the tube came together.

I am now sitting with 10 # of mixed meat and no way to stuff it. I went and retrieved my Jerkey gun remembering it had a sausage tube on it. That was fine but I could get no more than about 10 inches of casing on it at a time. 2 hours later and it was 10:00 Pm(Bedtime for an old fart like me) I finally finished stuffing. I quickly put them in the Bradely and loaded it up with Hickory pucks and turned just the generator on. When I got up early I turned the heat on and they finnished about 8:30 am to a IT of 150 degrees.

I quickly cooled them down and put in the refrigerator and rushed to work only a hour late. I am the boss so I only gave myself a verbal warning not to be late again. (lol)

Once I got to work, an hour late, I turned my computer on, went to the Grizzily Website, and order a new 5 # grizzly stuffer. A smoker has to have his prioprities in order!

The snack sticks look wonderful, will try some tonight. Thought you all would get a kick out of this story!!!
Tim

FLBentRider

Gads!

Sounds like an adventure.

I need to get a stuffer myself..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Now that's a man that wanted his snack sticks!!! I hate to break the news to you but the small collagen casings don't fit very well on the small stuffer tube of the Grizzly either. You have to feed them on by hand. I ordered my new tube from Smoke it All. Just need things to setle down around here so I can make some stix
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Sounds like every thing worked out in the end. I have had nights like that  :(

Im sure they turned out great, if its the recipe im thinking of it has to ferment for 6 or 8 hr anyway. Then you turn up the temp

Your going to love your new stuffer compared to the old one its night and day

muzzletim

10-point do you have the website where you got the tube? I googled Smoke it all but can't seem to find it!

Thanks
Tim

pullinpork

I had the same problem and this is what I found at LEM. It works great.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/s

Caribou

Whoa!
Those were some hard earned snack sticks!
So, glad it worked out Muzzletim,
I have the LEM 5lb stuffer with the tube that fit the 19mm casings and it does take a lot of elbow grease to crank out snack sticks.
Carolyn

mikeradio

Look at this post about custom stuffing tubes, I am waiting for mine to arrive.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10642.0

Mike

Smokin Soon

Having the right stuff for sausages makes it a breeze! And if you are a frequent flyer on sausages you will love Big John's extended length stainless tubes, get a 7/16 for snack sticks, and a 3/4 for everything else and yer all set! And where's the pics?

muzzletim

Didn't get pictures this time! But I have a Oryx hunt this coming weekend so with a little luck I will have lots of sausage making and jerkey to do. Will try some photo's then.
Tim