• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital Thermometer - Question On Best Way To Use

Started by Idasotan, August 26, 2009, 08:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idasotan

Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question....

I just received my digital thermometer (I went with a Maverick ET-7) and I am getting ready to start my first pork butt.  I think I've got everything ready to go (the OBS is warming up, my pork butt has been rubbed and is out of the fridge warming up), but I'm not sure if there is a preferred way to use the thermometer.

Do I just put it in the pork butt and run the cord out the door to the wireless transmitter, or is it better to run it up through the vent?  Is there another, better way that I am overlooking?  I was planning on just running it out the door and closing the door, but I didn't know if this would allow heat to escape, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Idasotan

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Idasotan on August 26, 2009, 08:04:08 AM
Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question....

I just received my digital thermometer (I went with a Maverick ET-7) and I am getting ready to start my first pork butt.  I think I've got everything ready to go (the OBS is warming up, my pork butt has been rubbed and is out of the fridge warming up), but I'm not sure if there is a preferred way to use the thermometer.

Do I just put it in the pork butt and run the cord out the door to the wireless transmitter, or is it better to run it up through the vent?  Is there another, better way that I am overlooking?  I was planning on just running it out the door and closing the door, but I didn't know if this would allow heat to escape, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Idasotan

It will be fine running thru the door seal, its so thin that you will not loose any heat or smoke.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi Idasotan and welcome to the forum.

There's no dumb questions...  ;)

People  run the thermometer wire both ways although I prefer to just close it in the door. There is little, if any smoke/heat escaping by doing this. I prefer this method because if you are doing something that requires a rack rotation it's easier to accomplish.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Idasotan

Thanks for the help, I'll do that (run it through the door).

Mr. Walleye - I'm not much of a lake fisherman yet (I moved to Minnesota from Idaho, where I was mostly a fly-fisherman), but I did land my biggest Walleye ever on a trip up to Voyageurs last week.  I caught a 28" walleye on a lindy rig (leech on a bare hook).  What a great time!  I'm starting to get into this lake fishing...

OU812

I also run the cable out the door with no heat or smoke loss

Just a little tip on the probe keep the area where the cable connects to the probe pointing down, kinda like a drip leg, so any moisture or fat that comes in contact with the probe runs down the cable and not into the area where the cable meets the probe

That area is the week link to the probe any moisture in the probe will fry it and what ever you do dont wash or submerge the cable, just wash the solid part of the probe

Hope this made sense, its easier to say than type

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Idasotan on August 26, 2009, 08:17:38 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll do that (run it through the door).

Mr. Walleye - I'm not much of a lake fisherman yet (I moved to Minnesota from Idaho, where I was mostly a fly-fisherman), but I did land my biggest Walleye ever on a trip up to Voyageurs last week.  I caught a 28" walleye on a lindy rig (leech on a bare hook).  What a great time!  I'm starting to get into this lake fishing...

That's a nice walleye for sure!  ;)

It can be very nice & relaxing enjoying a day of lake fishing. I was out last Saturday at Last mountain Lake here in Saskatchewan. We picked up 32 walleye with about 6 of them in the 5 to 6 lb range. The rest were around 2 to 2.5 or so. Here, this time of year we usually are pulling spinners with nightcrawlers or crank baits. Earlier in the year we tend to go with a slower presentation such as a lindy, jigs, floating jigs and slip bobbers. Around here the big ones usually start to bite from now to freeze up and the opportunity to get them over 10 lbs is very good. We have had some years where we have had a dozen or so over the 10 lb mark. Lot's of fun for sure.

Keep us posted on how you make out smokin' your butt.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Same here, i run it out the door with no loss of smoke or heat. I even use it (et-73) in the home oven when i'm finishing off something to temp.
Mike

FLBentRider

I run it through the vent most of the time, sometimes the door.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!