Never seen a smoker (new guy begging for info).

Started by danattherock, August 27, 2009, 08:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

I live in NC and love to cook on my grill. I cook half our meals in some way or another on the grill. I heard of smokers of course, but never seen one at a persons home. Just the big tow behind pig pickin cookers. I am interested to learn what a Bradely smoker can cook. I have heard tons about smoking fish, but to be honest, don't know what else. Also, what model should I get and why. For the sake of arguement, assume I am not overly worried about cost, but of course don't want to buy more than I need. Well, not much more anyway. I have my grill on my attached backporch. 8 foot ceiling and cedar sided house. Picture below. Want to know if I can leave this on the porch all the time. Is it a fire hazard? Is it going to decrease the life of the unit? Any info at all is most helpful. Thanks for your time and patience.

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

pensrock

Many things can be done in the Bradley, pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, turkey. just to mention a few. Go to the recipe site and look at the many recipies and also check out the FAQ's while there. I keep mine on a covered deck year round, have never had any problems being kept there. One side of my deck is closed in from the rain and snow, that is where I keep this smoker, so I never gets wet. They do make nice covers for them when not in use also. I'm sure others will be stopping in to answer more of your questions.
Welcome to the forum,
pens

Tenpoint5

A Bradley would look perfect on your screened in porch. Now between a OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) and a DBS (Digital Bradley Smoker) I personally would go with the DBS and did. They are not a fire hazard. Although you can create situations that may cause a fire inside of your Bradley. More on that later. What can you smoke in a Bradley? If you can eat it you can smoke it. Pretty much sums it up. Look around the forum and the recipe site, that should give you more than enough ideas to get you started.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Hey Dan,
Here is the link to the recipe website.  It will give you many examples of what can be smoked in the Bradley.  The Bradley itself is not a fire hazard as it is very well insulated and the heat source is pretty low.  You can lay your hand comfortably on it anywhere on the exterior.  It will only be warm.. You can create an environment inside the Bradley that has fire potential but mainly that normally stems from the user forgetting to refill the water bowl or something innocent like that.  Mine stays outside year round on a screened in porch with the cover on it.  No problems.

recipe site:  www.susanminor.org

KyNola

danattherock

Thanks for the quick replies. I do appreciate it. One question, which model (and why)? I have been reading old post and the #1 complaint seems to be lower temps than what the thermometer suggests. Does this negate the benefits of the newer digital models? Any thoughts appreciated.

westexasmoker

Hi Dan!

I run an OBS with a PID I built from the plans on the recipe site, and could'nt be happier.  While the PID is not necessary it will hold the temperture spot on when doing cheese, sausage, salmon.  If you plan on doing mainly large cuts, the OBS will do the trick fine justs takes a little getting used to slider placement.  Either OBS or DBS you can't go wrong either way!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

muzzletim

I have the standard OBS with a Pid and have smoked fish, sausage, turkey, chicken and alot of pork butts, I think it is more what you can't cook than what you can!
Tim

mikecorn.1

I have a bds4. i use a maverick et-73 with it. only time i had problem with temp getting up was when i loaded down all 4 racks with chicken legs adn breasts. only got up to 195. finished them in the oven.
Mike

danattherock

Pid? Maverick? Any info appreciated. I am not sure what these items are. Thanks for the continued patience. Got the wife on board. Ordering a smoker, just not sure which model to get.

Jimmy

Hey danattherock,

A PID is a device that precisely controls the temp of the smoker...  Here is a link to the one for the Bradley..

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72&zenid=0304aef3960788034aa0fa3d5bc064f4

The Maverick is a temp monitoring device that shows you temp of the smoker box as well as the temp of what you are cooking...

http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-Remote-ET-73-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-73.htm

As far as the model of Bradley to get you can't go wrong with any of them... 

danattherock

I just got off Amazon, Auber Instruments website, and Yard and Pool website. I ordered the stainless OBS for $375, 60 pack (variety biscuettes) x2, two smoking books, three bubba pucks, Maverick 73 thermometer, and the plug and play temp controller PID ($149). Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these new toys. Ha ha ha... I should be set up now and can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate your time and thoughts. I will be sure to post some pics on the forum of any success/failures. I will expect a bit of a learning curve. Ribs will be first up. Thanks again!!

Dan

drano

Dan,
Welcome, and great choice of getting a Bradley.  Yep, meat, cheese, nuts, etc--it can be smoked on a Bradley.
The OBS w/ PID will be awesome.  Did you get the wall mounted PID temp probe or the one that drops in from the top?  I've got the wall mounted one and like it.  But it does stick out into the smoker about 3" so it may get in the way if you smoke multiple butts, briskets, etc.  I don't do big cuts of meat, so not a factor for me.  But I do like not having to drop the probe into the top.  Mounting it just under a rack keeps it out of the way. Get some inputs from other guys on this sight, and I bet if you wanted to change your mind, Auber would swap if he hasn't shipped yet. 

Ribs are a good choice.  Pull the membrane off the rib side (youtube has some good videos) , add some rub (book Smoke and Spice has lots of recipes plus the Susanminor web site), then throw them on the smoker at 220-230 deg for about 5 hours, but plan on more.  When done, FTC them (wrap in foil, then towel, and place in cooler) until dinner time.  They'll be great. 

Keep the first smokes simple--don't load it up w/ 3 racks of ribs or 2 huge butts.  One rack of ribs or a 3-5 lb butt/brisket can be done from 8 am to 6 pm, so its a great way to learn. 

Also, keep a log of your smokes--a Word document works great.  After each smoke, note how it turned out, and how you think you should smoke next time for better results--more/less smoke, different temp, etc.  Smoking is a learning curve so document your success/improvements for better smokes next time.
Here's and example of my rib log:

3.65# spare ribs
6 pecan pucks
Time:   Meat:   Smoker:
0800      preheat @ 220
0900         on           220
1230                         200
1300         185
1630      FTC
1800      eat

Welcome to Bradley world, and keep us posted on your success (did anyone say we like to see pictures?)

get smokin
drano