Top Sirloin for 30

Started by classicrockgriller, September 07, 2009, 11:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

I was quite impressed before the last pictures. Now I am even more impressed.

Truly a great Job.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

Thanks, I am a happy camper.

Caribou

Hey CRG,
Just checking in to see the finished product and it looks really great!
I can see the juices...yum!
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Looks good.

Was Medium-well your target IT ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

That looks mighty juicy, good job and its always fun when every one says it was prefect.

What did you do with juices? Make some dippen sauce?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 08, 2009, 06:28:08 AM
Looks good.

I read your post and wanted mine a little more done than yours. next time I will do it a little different, but
I consider the adventure a total success and yes i got some fine dippin sauce.

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 08, 2009, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on September 08, 2009, 06:28:08 AM
Looks good.

I read your post and wanted mine a little more done than yours. next time I will do it a little different, but
I consider the adventure a total success and yes i got some fine dippin sauce.

Works for me!

Ain't the Au jus the bomb?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

FBR, question for my learning process. I really didn't realize the increase in temp from the F T C. I am amazed.
Do different types of meat and different cuts of the same meat raise their temp different in ftc?

FLBentRider

I've never measured pre-FTC  and post-FTC temps and compared them.

I do know that I pulled that beef roast a lot sooner than I thought I should have, the first one I did was overcooked, like 170IT.

Here is an excerpt from a recipe site document:

Carryover Effect:

Now that we know how to properly place the thermometer, the next step it to prevent the food from going beyond your desired "doneness." The "carryover" effect is when the internal temperature of meat continues to rise while it is at rest. When a large roast reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F, the surface of the meat can be hotter than the boiling point. After the meat is removed from the heat source, the heat will continue to radiate towards the center, raising the internal temperature until the surface cools enough to draw the heat back out. This is also referred to as "After heating". Therefore the meat should be taken off the heat source before it reaches the desired "doness".

Some recipes calculate the "carryover" and will give you the temperature at which to remove the meat, but most don't. Most recipes give you the final internal temperature to bring the meat to, and judging when to take the meat off the heat source may take some practice. The extent of how high of an increase in temperature depends on the thickness and weight of the meat, the temperature it was cooked at, the internal temperature when it was removed from the heat source, the time it needs to rest, and the type or meat it is. To complicate matters, many sources say the rise in temperature is greater in red meat and pork than it is in poultry and fish. Other sources state that the carryover effect does not occur in poultry and fish (which I personally disagree with).

The larger the cut of meat the higher the increase in temperature will be during rest. This is because it has greater mass weight and thickness, and a large cut of meat require more resting time. For example, a large roast will often rise 5-10 degrees F, while a steak may only rise a few degrees, and the rise in a fish fillet my be negligible. The temperature that the meat was cooked at will also effect how much the temperature will rise. A large roast cooked at 325 degrees F may rise 5-10 degrees F, while the same roast cooked at 400 degrees F will rise 10-15 degrees F, and occasionally 20 degrees F. While smoking/cooking this roast at lower temperatures around 200-220 degrees F; it may only rise 2-5 degrees F.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=753#post753

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Thanks, very interesting. I knew from grilling steaks, they rose around 3 degrees. Never thought the hunk of mass would go as high as it did.
Again thanks for info.

FLBentRider

I have learned that I can always cook it some more, but I don't have an "uncook" button.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Good to know..

I'll cook a turkey breast roast and pull it at 150, knowing that it will be close enough to 'safe' after resting a while in foil. 

I didn't realize a roast would cook that much more...       That is on my short list - smoked roast beef for sammies.

Hopefull Romantic

FLBR

I also would like to thank you for that piece of information.

Like STC, I had no idea temps can rise that high when the meat is resting.You learn some thing new every day

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

I learned it by trial and mostly error in my attempt to get a roast beef that was the same "doneness" all the way through.

That whole "the hotter you cook it, the more extreme the temperature differences will be" was a DINGDINGDING physics lesson for me.

or would that be thermodynamics. whatever...  :P

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

If you look at one of the pics you will see where Me and my Son sampled the roast after FTC and before fridge time.
We stood there slice after slice muttering Damn this is good. When we got threw and right when I pulled the probe out
the IT was still 146. So, if you monitor the IT during FTC, you could actually choose the IT you want. Kewl !