Brisket for my birthday

Started by OU812, September 08, 2009, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: JGW on September 09, 2009, 07:04:22 PM
I'm also a whole packer guy, but I'll take a good flat when it's all I can get.  You can smoke either with equally great results.  If you can't find a packer, get a flat.

If you cooked it and like it, that's all that really matters. 

WTS - I like to chop up the point as well and throw it into pintos (and other stuff).  Adds a great flavor to the beans   :)

As a side note:  Only us Texans know how to cook it.   ;D :D ;) :)  It's like a law or something.   ;D

You might be right about only the Texans known how to cook it. But the rest of us are sure having fun learning from you two!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I assume by "whole packer" you mean the whole brisket.  You people talk funny  ;)  I guess I'll go for the whole brisket.

Hey, I was in Texas once for a whole week.  I found myself talking funny too  :)  In my younger days I drove my 'vette out from CT.  Spent a lot of time on RT 66.  It seemed like most of it was under construction.  In those days, the "waitresses" in the burger joints roller skated out to your car, clipped a tray to your window and sat your order on it, including beer.  My, my, where has the world gone to since then?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Quote from: JGW on September 09, 2009, 07:04:22 PM
As a side note:  Only us Texans know how to cook it.   ;D :D ;) :)  It's like a law or something.   ;D

Felgercarb!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7661.msg78530#msg78530

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

Great job. 

That was awesome looking.  I bet it tasted even better.

I hereby dub you "Honorary Texan".   ;D

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 09, 2009, 04:14:12 PM
I'm a whole packer guy  also....really its just a matter of preference, they are both equal as far as smoking/cooking...The flat is better for slicing, I like the point for chopped beef as its not quite as lean as the flat!
C

I feel the same way as both wts and JGW on the whole packer but to me the flat is the holy grail of the brisket.
The point is for chopping up and makes a great BBQ beef samme, that's what i had for dinner last night on potato bread with some red beans and rice with some brisket added of course

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on September 09, 2009, 07:26:38 PM
I assume by "whole packer" you mean the whole brisket.  You people talk funny  ;)  I guess I'll go for the whole brisket.

Arnie, actually a "whole packer" is not a "whole" brisket!   I haven't seen a whole one for sale in years.  A whole beef brisket will include part of the sternum bone and parts of 4 ribs (4 of the 1st 5 ribs on a beef) and some misc cartilaginous bits and pieces (not too accurate, but descriptive nonetheless) and a bunch more hard fat (part of the "deckle") that would be on the flat (pec muscle).  You'll never find this bone-in brisket at the supermarket.

The whole brisket you'll buy for barbecue is what is described in the industry as "beef brisket, deckle-off, boneless."   Lots of packers call it "packer trim" or "packer cut"

As far as the question as to what part is best - the flat or the point!  Any answer indicating one or the other as "best" would be spurious at best.  It would be like asking what is best an apple or an orange.  Therefore the determination of "best" would be a determination of what best fits what you are going to do with it!  If you want dense lean sliced beef barbecue, then the flat is for you.  But you have to be careful with the smoking as because of the leanness it will dry out and overcook more easily.  If you want something moister and with more fat on it then the point is your cut.  Because of the fat the point is pulled or chopped by many folks.  However, when cooking a "whole" brisket by virtue of it's thinness, the flat or part of the flat often gets cooked to fall apart stage while the point is still at slicing stage.  So the point gets sliced and trimmed of excess fat while part of the flat gets sliced and the rest gets pulled/chopped and/or made into burnt ends.

Either way, it is all good.  You just have to decide what you want to do, what cut is available, what cut you can afford, how long of a smoke you have time for, are you Jack Sprat or his wife....etc....

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Hi Caneyscud,

Thanks for the super info.  It's great to learn new things.  I'm going to get out to the stores today to see what their briskets look like - and of course bend 'em.  I'll rub 'em tonight and start a smoke early Saturday morning.  I ordered Oak bisquettes but haven't received them yet (darned USPS).  I'll use my Hickory if I have to.

I'll post back with the results on Monday.
-- Arnie

OU812

Sounds like theres going 2b a feast at Arnie's house sat night

Good luck and most of all Have Fun  ;D

Caneyscud

Two things

Hickory is good!

and the other - Can we come for supper?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 10, 2009, 08:21:17 AM
Two things

Hickory is good!

and the other - Can we come for supper?

Sure, but leave early.  It'll probably take you 10-12 hours to get here.  But, we do have a guest room  ;)
-- Arnie