My first Maple Canadian Bacon

Started by BareBones, September 04, 2009, 08:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BareBones

Well, it looks good so far. I will let it sit in the fridge for a couple days and then slice it up.

Bradley Maple flavored cure
Hight Quality maple syrup
12 day cure
3 hrs maple smoke@220, continuing the cook until an IT of 154

I "mostly" followed MW's recipe and cooking method with a bit of Hab's thrown in. It's all about making it your own, right? ... I'll post some sliced pics later.

Ignore the string, I barely know how to tie my shoes!  ;D

Mr Walleye

That right there is some fine lookin' bacon BareBones!  ;)

The toughest part is the waiting....

Great job!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

Wow great job there.  Walleye is right the hardest part is the wait.  Mine are always waiting with a couple of slices missing though   :D

muzzletim

Man that stuff looks great! I licked my computer screen and it tastes as good as it looks! LOL
Tim

OU812

Nice job on the bacon makes me want some Egg Benedict

mikecorn.1

:o that looks absolutely deslish. wish i had a little slice right about now.
Mike

BareBones

All I can say is WOW! The bacon turned out great!

I can't believe how easy this was to make. The maple flavor is just enough... looks like breakfast tomorrow is going to be fantastic!

All sliced up and ready to go! Off to the Food Saver! (note the jealous onlooker  :o ;D)

squirtthecat

Looks great!  What was your 'spin' on the original recipes?   I want to try this out this Fall... (if not sooner)

BareBones

I combined Habs and MW's methods so probably the biggest difference in my method was that combination. After the cure and soak I let it sit in the fridge for about 20 hours and didn't put it right into the smoker(Habs). After that I slathered it in maple syrup and gave it a good massage while the smoker came up to temp 150(MW). I do use my food saver for marinating and curing so I am not sure if that has any impact on the end results or not. It has worked great for me so far.

Btw, there is very little saltiness to the bacon! This was the first time I've used the Bradley cures so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. A+ so far.

squirtthecat

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

That is some fine looking CB there BB.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

Those look fantastic Barebones!
Got to add that to my "to do" list :)
Carolyn

BareBones

I have a feeling that I will be putting it on my to do list (again) in the very near future! This batch went quick and was a hit!

OU812

Quote from: BareBones on September 06, 2009, 10:53:31 AM
I have a feeling that I will be putting it on my to do list (again) in the very near future! This batch went quick and was a hit!

To do again and again and again and again  :D