Tough Side Ribs

Started by oakville smoker, September 08, 2009, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

As I promised, the smoker worked overtime this weekend.
But the camera did not.  One of these days I will take some pictures.

I did cold smoke some sirlions and finish them on the grill and incredible is the only proper descriptor.

However, I smoked some side ribs, never my fav, and the final results were tough.

I put them in  a rub overnight and vac sealed, let them come up to room temp and then fired them
in the Bradley at 210.  2 hours of apple smoke, 2 hours boated in AJ and then finished on the grill
with some home made BBQ sauce.

They smelled great in the smoker and on the grill.  But the final product was tough.  I am not even
including the breast and grissle that always accompanies the side ribs.  The main rack was just tough and chewy.  I have never had this experience with back ribs and I would much rather have those than sides.

Any idea what might have gone wrong here?  Cook time too long?  Maybe not long enough?  I won't be signing up for side ribs again any time soon.

Thanks much.

ps.  Its after Labour Day so I will be putting away my white apron as apparently you cannot wear white after that day.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Sounds like not enough time to me.

Side ribs take longer than baby backs, I've done then 5 to 6 even 7 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I agree with FLB. I did recently did six racks and they all came out perfect, the smoking cooking time averaged 6 - 7 hours, but that is with some texture to them (without foiling (boating)). If you like falling off the bone then cook them longer when they are in the foil.

Here is a good article to tell if your ribs are done.
Are my ribs ready yet?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

My two learned colleagues and I agree.  Didn't cook long enough.  Side ribs for me go at least 6 hours, sometimes longer.

Give 'em another try using 6 hours.

KyNola

oakville smoker

Thanks all.  I figured 6 hours was enough...  duh
I will give another try but I really do prefer backs to sides.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

FLBentRider

Did the meat pull back from the bone ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Late to the party but yep didn't cook them long enough. For Sides I have come to doing 3-3-1 sometimes2 to make sure the meat pulls back from the bones
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try this again.
I would have never thought sides that are thinner take longer than backs that are thicker
As has been said many times before, they are done when they are done !

Habanero Smoker

Spareribs are a little tougher, and need more time for the connective tissue (collagen) to break down. Generally in my area they cut the spareribs thicker then then backs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)