• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can you remove the little tray under the element?

Started by JGW, September 08, 2009, 06:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

Just what the title says.  I find mine is catching a lot of grease, etc. after four solid days of smoking this weekend (not all the time, just each day).  I'm concerned that removing it also removes the heating element.

As a side thought - Has anyone tried to mount that little heat director upside down?  To avoid splatters etc around the element?

I may have to play around with that.....I understand why it was done, but think a better solution can be found for directing the heat.

mikecorn.1

Weird, I dont have any problems with mine. Are you sure that you are pushing the v-tray all the way back against the back. Just a thought.  ???
Mike

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

Mike,  No problem, just a a lot of build up around the element....just want to avoid a fire.  V- tray is all the way back.

FLBentRider - Does the element come off when you do that or just the little tray?

FLBentRider

Oops.. waitaminute... wrong tray.

I thought you meant the one on the bottom.

The one by the element I just kinda wipe down when it looks like it needs it, every couple of months or so.

Since I started putting butts in the oven after the smoke, the smoker requires less clean-up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Mine has been pretty clean so far. I wonder if the placement of the food makes a difference? Maybe keep it further away from the back of the smoker?
HawkeyeSmokes

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: JGW on September 08, 2009, 06:01:35 PM

As a side thought - Has anyone tried to mount that little heat director upside down?  .

I do not recommend you mount the reflector upside down. It could cause the bottom of the smoker to over heat.
Brian

JGW

Brian,

After looking at it again, I would agree with you.  Thanks for chiming in before I got a case of the stupids.

Habanero Smoker

A lot of grease should not be flowing back there; may be a very small amount but not much. Make sure when you load the meat that it does not touch the back wall. Also make sure your smoker is level. You can tilt the front up about 1/4", but that is about as high as you want to go. Also make sure it is level from left to right.

It is easy to remove the reflector for cleaning, but as Brian stated I would not turn it over. There are two screws on each side; remove them making sure you don't loose the washers. If you are careful, you can remove the screw and the reflector and the front halves of the ceramic holders will stay in place; if they come off it is easy to reassemble everything.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JGW

Thanks all.  I think using "grease" was probably not a correct way to put it.  Anyway, it's all clear and the heat reflector is in it's default position.

pensrock

Only reasons I can think of causing something to run down onto the heat deflector would be:
1. Too much moisture? Open the top vent. In most cases should be 1/2 to full open at all times.
2. Food pushed too far back, possibly even touching the rear of the tower. Take more care when loading the smoker.
3. V-tray in upside down. Make sure the V is going down in the middle, not up. It should direct any drippings into the water bowl. I have seen people post pics of their units and one of us would notice the V-tray was upside down.

I'm not sure if any of these could be the cause of what you are seeing but its a start.
pens