Bacon Confusion

Started by Buckeye, September 10, 2009, 04:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I was wondering why I couldn't find your bacon recipe. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTJ

I take mine to 145-150, a little on the high end but is quiker to fry up.  With about 12-13lbs in the smoker it takes me about 4-5 hours.  Temp set at 200.  I don't add any brown sugar with the TQ, I prefer a more savory flavor and add equal amounts of onion powder, garlic powder and ground black pepper.  I use all or any combination of the three.  I typically cure between 7-14 days depending when I can get around to smoke....donot forget to soak in water before smoking!!

Daryl

OU812

Good point Daryl

After the cure time I rinse the slab and soak in fresh water for 1 hr then dump the water rinse and soak again in fresh water another hr then place on my bacon hooks and hang on the drying rack uncovered with a fan blowing gently on them till dry and tacky

Habanero Smoker

When I cure slab bacon I only go 5 - 7 days, it is fully cured. It does not need soaking to extract the extra salt. Just a quick rinse under water, and let it rest for 8 - 24 prior to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 16, 2009, 01:31:21 AM
When I cure slab bacon I only go 5 - 7 days, it is fully cured. It does not need soaking to extract the extra salt. Just a quick rinse under water, and let it rest for 8 - 24 prior to smoking.

I go 7 days and if I dont soak the slab it turns out a little salty, must be the cure I use, o well it tastes great this way.