• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Serving 24 hours after cooking. What are my options?

Started by tnbassman, September 11, 2009, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnbassman

The tailgate was awesome. Fed about 50 people even invited a few UCLA fans who were walking by to come over and enjoy a bbq sandwhich and a cold one. The meat turned out great. We ended up putting finished butts in frig, then reheating and pulling sat am then to crock pot in a 50/50 apple juice water mix for about 3 hours on low.

The star of the tailgate was the sauce. I had compliment after compliment on the sauce. I doubled the chili powder and pepper to give it more kick. I also used crushed red pepper in stead of cayenne. This sauce is sweet and tangy but has a kick at the end. I like my sauce hotter but when serving a crowd where everyone likes something differant this sauce seems to be a huge hit.

5 c. catsup (55 oz.)
1 c. tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
5 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper   (I use crushed red pepper and double)
16 cloves fresh garlic chopped or 2 tsp. powder  (Never tried the powder)
1 med. onion

Boil 5-10 minutes. Strain onion and garlic   (I bring to a boil them simmer for about 15 min).

squirtthecat

Quote from: tnbassman on September 15, 2009, 06:20:09 AM

The star of the tailgate was the sauce. I had compliment after compliment on the sauce. I doubled the chili powder and pepper to give it more kick. I also used crushed red pepper in stead of cayenne. This sauce is sweet and tangy but has a kick at the end. I like my sauce hotter but when serving a crowd where everyone likes something differant this sauce seems to be a huge hit.

5 c. catsup (55 oz.)
1 c. tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
5 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper   (I use crushed red pepper and double)
16 cloves fresh garlic chopped or 2 tsp. powder  (Never tried the powder)
1 med. onion

Boil 5-10 minutes. Strain onion and garlic   (I bring to a boil them simmer for about 15 min).

Thanks!  I made some like this last night (from a clone recipe) and it turned out pretty good.  Needed a little more kick, like your recipe has.

Do you have to strain it all out, or can you just dump in a blender after it has cooled and puree?

OU812

Glad to here your tailgaten was a hit, the sause sounds like some thing i need to try

tnbassman

"Do you have to strain it all out, or can you just dump in a blender after it has cooled and puree?"

Never tried that I wonder if it would have a strong garlic taste?

The first few times I made this sauce I strained with a fine mesh strainer and removed everything but the liquid. the last two time I have used a spagheti strainer to allow some red pepper pieces and smaller chunks of garlic and onion to get into the bottle and I like it better this way.

squirtthecat

Quote from: tnbassman on September 15, 2009, 07:28:12 AM
The first few times I made this sauce I strained with a fine mesh strainer and removed everything but the liquid. the last two time I have used a spagheti strainer to allow some red pepper pieces and smaller chunks of garlic and onion to get into the bottle and I like it better this way.

That sounds like the way to go.  I tried using a small strainer last night, and it just drip, drip, drip, dripped into the bowl.  So I set that aside, and used a slotted spoon to fish the garlic cloves/onion chunks out.

Turned out pretty good, but I think my portions were off of what you are using.  And all I had was brown sugar, so it wasn't as sweet (in my opinion) as it could have been.