• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoking jalapenos

Started by Quarlow, September 05, 2009, 07:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Hi, I am new to posting but have been checking out the posts since shortly after getting my OBS 6 months ago. Yesterday I had mine and my brothers 6 rack digital stuffed with salmon my buddy caught on the west coast of Vancouver Island. About 50 lbs. I dry mixed half and half brown sugar and course salt with pepper to taste. I packed the fish in a plastic container with the mix coating on each layer and let it brine for 13 hours. Then smoke cook it for5 hours and cooked it for 4 more hour then added smoke for 2 more hours.  I only wish I had read the posts on this sooner as I punch the temp up to 210 as quick as it would go. Yup, Boogers. Well it will still taste good. I lowered the temp to 150 when I read the post but it was to late. I also did not know about drying the surface first. My dad has always smoke fish in a 8ft tall ply wood smoker and it was "smoke on" for 12 to 14 hours with a hot plate in the bottom. Hand cut alder discs and shavings and hope the whole damn thing didn't catch on fire, which it did a few times. LOL. I think I will get a used fridge for brining and drying with a fan inside. There is never enough room in our fridge and it's hard to take a shower with containers packed in ice in the tub. ::) If anyone sees something wrong with this just let me know, please.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

from my experience with peppers being frozen, is they will be soft after thawed, almost like they were partially cooked. I'm really cannot say how well it would work if you thaw, smoke, refreeze then thaw to cook. I think if you thaw, smoke then cook you will be fine.

I make big batches of ABT's and freeze them. I clean them / stuff them / put on cookie sheet and into the freezer / once frozen I vac pack them. After thawing, I put the bacon on and right into the smoker or grill. They come out great.

Quarlow

Hey thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens. If they are real soft maybe I will try to roast them in the oven and then freeze them for later use.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.