• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Oven ?

Started by watchdog56, September 19, 2009, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I am making venison deer sticks and using Nepas advice. It is getting towards evening and outside temp is around 75. I set my smoke generator at 130 with no smoke then up to 150 with 2 hours of smoke.The up to 160 for 1 hour and 170 if needed. I am trying to get my internal temp to 152. I have an auber pid so it was holding well at 150 for at least a 1/2 hour then I look on my maverick et73 and it shows 143 temp. I do not have my oven on it is just the smoke generator. SHOULD I HAVE MY OVEN TURNED ON AT THE LOWEST SETTING? Assuming the auber pid will regulate my temp. I have a 4 rack digital.

HawkeyeSmokes

I would use the PID and just turn the smoke generator off. It will do a better job of controlling the temp than the BDS will.
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

well the only thing i have on is the smoke generator I do not have the oven on. Do I need to turn oven on or just the pid and smoke generator?

FLBentRider

I don't think the PID can control the SG.

I would use just the PID and oven.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

Also when the smoke generator time is up and shuts off will the pid run my temp or do I need oven on for that?

HawkeyeSmokes

The tower should be plugged into the PID and that way it controls the tower only. The SG is plugged into an outlet. If your done with the smoke, you can just turn that off and let the PID control the tower temperature.
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

so my oven button does NOT need to be turned on? Everything is plugged in correctly. My smoke generator just went off so no lights on smoker except PID is on.

watchdog56

Did not want to but I just opened the door and my oven is on. All buttons on my smoker and generator are off but PID is doing a good job. Thanks.

HawkeyeSmokes

Glad to hear that it's going well. Make sure to monitor the temp with the Maverick until you get a good feel for it.
HawkeyeSmokes