• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

"Deal or No Deal"

Started by classicrockgriller, September 24, 2009, 10:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

A friend has been telling me that there is a friend of his grandmother who shrimps in the gulf and makes a run thru our town and delivers Shrimp.
He called and said the dude was coming thru and had shrimp off his boat from yesterday and they were 9/12's, head on. (9/12 means
it takes 9 to 12 shrimp to make a pound). That's big! $3.00 a pound. I got 40 lbs. What I got was headless shrimp. They were fresh, still had pieces
of sea weed/grass in the bag of shrimp. These are not farm raised or, is it called prawns, these are Texas Gulf Coast Shrimp.

This is 3 lbs.

Here is a shrimp vs a tape measure. (headless)

I rinsed, drained and flash-froze and vac packed in 1 and 2 lb pgs. (the 1's are for the kids, the 2 are mine...hehe)
I got 25 lbs of headless shrimp.

manxman

Looks like you got yourself a great deal there crg........... and wild ones too.  :)
Manxman

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Ka Honu

$3 for 9/12s?  I hate you! (but if you're really nice, I'll send you the recipe for the best shrimp & grits in existence - Blackened Shrimp with Cheesy Jalapeno Grits and Hearty Redeye Gravy).

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 25, 2009, 01:41:22 AM
$3 for 9/12s?  I hate you! (but if you're really nice, I'll send you the recipe for the best shrimp & grits in existence - Blackened Shrimp with Cheesy Jalapeno Grits and Hearty Redeye Gravy).

Hey Ka Honu,

Hope that would be a public post and not a PM. I love anything blackened.

HR

manxman

QuoteHope that would be a public post and not a PM. I love anything blackened.

I agree!!  :D ;)
Manxman

FLBentRider

$3/lb is great around here for the little ones, let alone those monsters!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 25, 2009, 03:13:35 AM
$3/lb is great around here for the little ones, let alone those monsters!

Same here and I can get mine right off the boat.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caribou

What beautiful giant shrimp!
You savvy shrimp buyer you!  :D :D
I know you'll make great eats with them,
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

He told me Oct 15th he starts oystering in Louisianna and a bushel of Oysters in shells would be about $30 to $35.
I am making Bacon wrap shrimp tonite (my daughther is flying in from Nashville for her wedding shower). Shrimp,cheese,
slice of jalapeno, wrapped in bacon and grilled. Hehe, my daughter planned her wedding for opening weekend of deer
season. I told her if I was paying for it, it wouldn't be in deer season. She's getting married Oct 25. Smart girl.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 25, 2009, 01:44:23 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on September 25, 2009, 01:41:22 AM
...the recipe for the best shrimp & grits in existence...
...Hope that would be a public post ...

Okay, here it is (nepas - note the lack of secrecy surrounding this receipt).

This recipe came from Reminisce Restaurant in Summerville, SC, and was included in a big article on shrimp & grits in the Charleston paper about 8-10 years ago.  The gravy takes it that extra step from excellent to awesome; I rarely make it any other way anymore.

Blackened Shrimp with Cheesy Jalapeno Grits and Hearty Redeye Gravy

For the grits:
1.5 cups prepared (cooked and chilled) stone-ground grits
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1 tsp chopped jalapeno peppers

For the gravy:
1/8 cup diced bacon
1/8 cup diced ham (country ham if available)
1/8 cup chopped onion
1 tsp chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
1/8 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup cold coffee
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and cracked pepper to taste

For the shrimp:
2 tbsp olive oil
6 large shrimp with tails
2 tsp Cajun seasoning

Grits - Mix cold grits and cheese with jalapeno peppers.  Portion into 6 small cakes and warn in 350-degree oven for 4 minutes or until cheese melts.

Gravy - Saute bacon & ham until light brown.  Add onions, cilantro, and tomatoes; saute until onions are caramelized to a light brown.  Add coffee and cream; season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until gravy reduces and thickens slightly.  Set aside.

Shrimp - Brush oil on shrimp and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning (both sides).  Grill or saute (approx 1.5 minutes per side).

To serve - Plate the warmed grits cakes on two dinner plates.  Place 3 shrimp in center of each plate and top with gravy.  Garnish with cilantro.

classicrockgriller

WOW ! That sounds awesome. Sorta like a out in the country thing, comfort food. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefull Romantic

Ka honu, Cant wait to try it.

Nepas, let this be a lesson NO SECRETS HERE. ;D ;D

HR