Smoked Ribs and Sauerkraut Question?

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, September 29, 2009, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

OU812 just made a reply to a post on country style ribs and suggested adding some onions when boating. Thought it sounded pretty good and started thinking. (I know, that's a bad sign!  :D)
Has anyone tried adding some sauerkraut after the ribs have been smoked and then boated? If so, I'd sure like to hear the results, thoughts and any ideas.
HawkeyeSmokes

Wildcat

Never heard of anyone doing it before. I nominate you as the test subject. Go for it and post the results. I personally do not like kraut, but the wife does.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Hmmmmm, sauerkraut on ribs, different.

I do love kraut and do put it on brisket, after its ben cooked though, ribs I dont know.

Let us know how it turns out.

smokeitall

Pork Hocks and sauerkraut w/ dumplings is one of my favorites.  We usually can't find hocks unless we get a hog butchered so we usually do county style ribs....add some some smoke to the ribs first....hmmmm sounds like a plan.  If you want to wait until november 20 I'll taste test it for ya after I stop by your local cheese shop on the way to ashland  :)

go cheese heads...

ArnieM

Pork ribs and sauerkraut go back a long way.  Probably German, Polish or somewhere in that area.  Typically, though, they're not smoked.  The usual is ribs slow cooked in a liquid with onions, maybe a bay leaf.  Eventually (this is not a recipe) add the drained and rinsed sauerkraut, sliced or cubed white potatoes and caraway seeds.  Cook until the pork and potatoes are tender. 

I'm not sure how the smoked ribs would go, but what the heck - throw it all in a pot and give it a try,
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I would cold smoke the ribs and then cook as the kraut and ribs recipe directs.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 30, 2009, 04:37:16 AM

I like that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ExpatCanadian

I'm a big fan of sauerkraut, so much so that I ferment my own a couple times a year...  I've posted about this before, so won't go into it.  But...  one of my favourite recipes is the following:

Grandpa's Sauerkraut and Kielbasa

It's really good...  the long slow cook makes all the flavours just meld together and create something you wouldn't really expect from such a simple dish.  Anyway, this thread got me thinking, that long slow cook would probably be just as good or even better with ribs (cut into bite sized pieces) which would easily stand up to the cooking time, probably better than the Kielbasa does.  As was suggested by FLBR, cold smoke initially to taste, then chop them up and add to the recipe in place of the Kielbasa.

In fact, my tummy's growling just thinking about it  ;D , I'm going to try this very soon... I'll post the results if someone doesn't beat me to it!

OU812

EC that sounds good, going to give this a whirl with some of the kielbasa I made

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: smokeitall on September 29, 2009, 07:13:15 PM
Pork Hocks and sauerkraut w/ dumplings is one of my favorites.  We usually can't find hocks unless we get a hog butchered so we usually do county style ribs....add some some smoke to the ribs first....hmmmm sounds like a plan.  If you want to wait until november 20 I'll taste test it for ya after I stop by your local cheese shop on the way to ashland  :)

go cheese heads...

The hocks and kraut are great Scott. Just got to thinking about adding a smoked flavor to the mix. Might have to do a test batch this weekend. Any luck I'll have it down by deer season and your welcome to stop by, I'm on vacation that week and the one after so lot's of smoke should be going!

Hope your ready for the game coming up, it should be fun!

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 30, 2009, 04:37:16 AM

I like that suggestion FLB, a little adaption of your cold smoked ribs.

And EC, your suggestion gives me more ideas. Thanks for all the posts and will update the results, good or bad.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes