Salmon Questions

Started by parismountain, October 03, 2009, 05:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parismountain

Kind of still a rookie here.  I followed Kummok's salmon recipe and have had my King salmon soaking for 12 hours in the soy and water etc, but I just now realized I forgot the pickling salts.  Oh no, what's that going to do?  Yikes I have a fortune in this fish and split it with a friend.  Hope it comes out okay.

One other question, when salmon is done, how do you cool it?  I messed up by putting wax paper over a bit warm salmon and then fridging it.  It was okay but got the wax paper wet.
I probably should let it cool longer but it's going to be 80 here in the late afternoon.

thanks

parismountain

How about if I mix up a weak solution of water and pickling salt and spray bottle it over the drying fish before cooking?

Quarlow

Hi parismtn, I am not sure exactly how you should solve this, but I would say that if I was in your situation, I would probably just go ahead and smoke it. If you start adding salt to it now it might just come out salty. The soya sauce has a lot of salt in it and the salt is more to draw the moisture content down so that the fish will dry better. I know someone with more experience will come along soon to give you a hand with this so don't dispair.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

I am with Quarlow on this one. I believe that the soya sauce salt content should be enough and I would go ahead and smoke it.

I just not sure why you would want to cool it though.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

parismountain

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 03, 2009, 07:44:30 AM
I am with Quarlow on this one. I believe that the soya sauce salt content should be enough and I would go ahead and smoke it.

I just not sure why you would want to cool it though.

HR

Okay, will smoke and let you know.  I cool it cause I can't eat it all at once, want to save it in fridge or freezer and was just wondering the best method for letting it sit before putting it in ether the fridge or freezer,   thanks

Quarlow

Just let it cool on the counter with something covering it. Then when it is cool,double wrap it in plastic film or vacuum bag it and in to the freezer.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.