Spyguy Lox Question

Started by rknapton, October 12, 2009, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rknapton

I'm trying to make a batch of lox with some coho that we caught this weekend.  I just finished the first step with the dry brine.

I'm wondering how to tell if it fully cured the salmon.  All of the dry brine was soaked, and there was syrup in the container.  When I cut the fillet in half though, I noticed that the dark red does not go all the way through the fillet.  Also, while the fillet is tough skinned, it does feel a little softer underneath when you push on the skin and move it around (feels softer underneath, not sure how to describe this).  I would expect it to feel hard when you push on the flesh, if it was tough all the way through.

Where I cut the fillet the color changes form a dark red, to a paler flesh color as it goes deeper into the filet.

Has this cured enough, or did I make a mistake?

Btw: I had it in the dry brine, in the fridge for 8hrs.  Also, I only made 1/2 of the dry brine as I only had 3 fillet's left after smoking the rest.

Rob

mikeradio

Welcome to the forum Rknapton.  I have made Spyguys lox a couple of times and it always turns out great.  The salmon I get has no skin on it so I can not tell you if what you are seeing is correct.  After the dry brine the fish is really firm and dark, I would not worry if you think it is not fully cured inside because it has 8 more hours in the wet brine.  Just trust the instructions and follow them completely and your lox will turn out perfect.  Try and post some pictures of your lox.

Mike

KyNola

Rob,
While I have not made this particular recipe yet I have salmon in the frig destined for this recipe.  I have made lots of other gravlox.  Granted the lox I have made cures longer than 8 hours but this recipe has a 2 step brining process.  This particular lox recipe will yield a soft consistency when totally completed but I think you're fine thus far.  The only 2 questions I have for you: although you only made 1/3 of his dry brine did you use the same ratio of ingredients?  Were the fillets totally covered in the dry brine on all sides of the fillet, top and bottom?  If so, you're more than likely good to go.  Keep in mind that even though the dry brine is the primary curing process, the wet brine is going to continue to cure your salmon as it too contains salt and sugar.  The one thing I differ with the recipe is he says that you don't have to bother refrigerating at this point.  Just a difference of opinion but I don't subscribe to not refrigerating it.

Others will be along soon but I think you're in for a treat.

KyNola

Sorry Mike.  Your post hit seconds before mine did.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Rknapton,

Welcome to the forum.

When I make lox I use skinnless fillets. The skin acts as a baerer and slows done the curing process on that side. When fully cured your loxs the flesh should be tight and firm in all areas. For myself, after the dry brine it is difficult to tell by color, because the brown sugar will make the meat a darker red towards the surface.

As KyNola stated you have that second step. You may or may not get the correct texture, but the flavor should be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum Rknapton.  This is a great place to learn Bradley smoking or to expand your knowledge of culinary smokiness - or just to drool over pictures of smoked viddles! 

I've made that lox recipe with both skinless and skin-on fillets - albeit, some on the forum would not consider it salmon considering it was farm-raised.   ;D ;D  Everytime it has turned out very good for me.  I follow the recipe diligently - only thing I do different is add a little more smoke time.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"