Curing Boneless Skinless Turkey Breasts

Started by smokehawk, October 01, 2009, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokehawk

Hello Everyone--

I've had my smoker for about a year and a half and I'm looking for some input to spark some more creativity.  I have four five lb turkey breasts that I am planning on smoking this weekend.  I have found that a dry cure (does that make sense?) on the brisket works a lot better for me.  The only thing that I brine any longer is salmon. 

That brings me to my question.  I haven't done much poultry but I want to smoke these things right for maximum flavor without sacrificing the moisture.  So--dry cure by mixing up some spices along with Morton's Tender Cure or concoct some sort of brine I don't know how to make.  I've seen some suggestions here for just water, cure and brown sugar but I like big flavor and a little pepper kick. 

Any thoughts?   I really appreciate the help!

Mr Walleye

Hi Smokehawk and welcome to the forum.

I've done a number of whole birds but just not a breast by itself. This first link is to a recipe from the recipe site and is by StickBowCrafter. I know a number of members have tried and though it was very good. It definitely would appear to have a kick to it.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=687#post687

Here is another one from the recipe site that is brined.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=153#post153

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokehawk

Hi Mike,

Wow both of those look great!  Thanks much!  Smokehawk is for the tailgating here in Seattle and I'm kind of designated party chef for a majority of our home games.  Can't wait to try more and share!  I'll keep checking back and I'll share everything I can that my family won't bash me for sharing handed down secrets...

Brian

classicrockgriller

smokehawk, welcome to the forum. Mr Mike has you going in the right direction.    CRG

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokehawk!

The brine adds moisture and flavor.

I brine almost all the poultry I smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

No matter if you dry cure or brine the key to keep the skinless breast from drying out is to allow the pellicle (which is a sort of secondary skin) to form, you want the serface to be tacky and shiny. Placing a fan in front of the breast will speed things up, you dont want a wind storm when doing this, you want to be able to hold a lighter next to the meat without it blowing out.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JGW

Uh oh.   ;D  SECRETS?  SECRETS?

There are NO secrets on this forum.  ;)  We reveal everything to each other.   ;D  (except the stuff we don't, but that's not important right now)

Welcome to the forum.

smokehawk

Went with the dry rub this time...it's in the fridge right now so I have to get up dark and early tomorrow to get them in before kickoff here on the west coast. 

I'll try to get pictures of the final product and of the racks before they go in.

Thanks for the advice!

-Smokehawk

smokehawk

Well I've tried to add the image of the turkey on the cutting board.  Absolutely awesome!  I've done two batches and just for a little extra flavor, I cut down on the pepper just a bit and added some ground garlic and ground sage.  It's great!  Wish I could upload the image becuase it really does look tasty.  Everyone who has tried it has just gushed with approval, so thanks for the tips!

classicrockgriller

cabledude7155

question can you inject and do a brine. i plan on using bassman's recipe and inject with a butter injection. would this be ok, or should i just use the recipe?

OU812

Quote from: cabledude7155 on November 04, 2009, 07:31:54 AM
question can you inject and do a brine. i plan on using bassman's recipe and inject with a butter injection. would this be ok, or should i just use the recipe?

This will be fine. Do the brine first, rince, dry then inject a couple hr's later after the brine has a wile to blend with the meat.