• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Want to buy a smoker for my hubby - advice please!

Started by lman2b, October 28, 2009, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lman2b

Hello, I just found this forum through the reviews on Amazon (where I'm looking to buy this) and I need some help. Please forgive me if I'm duplicating other questions. First of all, I'm the cook in the house, so I imagine I'll be the one using this. But my husband has always talked about a smoker (we used an old one in the past where he smoked a goose and it was oh so yummy!) and that he wants to smoke the stuff he brings home, plus, he always talks about making beef jerky etc. He has tried in the oven before, but it wasn't very good.

So my questions at this point are:

1. Should I permanently store this in the backyard? Does smoke escape from it constantly? I saw some posts about keeping the vent open at all times.

2. If I want to try a wide range of meats/salmon/cheese etc., what "flavor" of the wood chips is recommended? Should I buy the multi-pack type, or is there a favorite that seems to be good for everything?

3. Is there a lot of upkeep for this or will it be easy to use upon receiving it and easy to maintain? Meaning, am I going to be really confused and should read everything now or is it pretty easy to just set it up and get going?

4. I read a few posts about water and pans and bricks for temperature, and I'm quite confused. I don't know what a smoker really is, so its hard to understand for me. I read that keeping the temp up is very difficult, what do you do about that? Where do you put the brick, or a pan of water, or cast iron etc.?

5. How do I know which smoker my husband needs as far as the digital one/original one etc.? I'm going by the rating on amazon, but I don't know what we do or don't need as I don't really understand what the whole unit is or does.

I know I have more questions, thats all I can think of at the moment. But any advice/suggestions on how to use it or what to do, or words of advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the Forum lman2b!

Quote from: lman2b on October 28, 2009, 11:42:33 AM
1. Should I permanently store this in the backyard? Does smoke escape from it constantly? I saw some posts about keeping the vent open at all times.
Mine lives on my back patio, you will want to keep it out of the weather, or under a cover. The electronics don't like water.
Smoke escapes from it while you are using the smoke generator (typically the first 1-4 hours of the cook)

2. If I want to try a wide range of meats/salmon/cheese etc., what "flavor" of the wood chips is recommended? Should I buy the multi-pack type, or is there a favorite that seems to be good for everything?

I would get a box of each and experiment. I like Hickory, Oak, Apple, Maple... There is one here who does _everything_ with mesquite...

3. Is there a lot of upkeep for this or will it be easy to use upon receiving it and easy to maintain? Meaning, am I going to be really confused and should read everything now or is it pretty easy to just set it up and get going?

There is very little upkeep. Clean the racks and V-tray after use.

4. I read a few posts about water and pans and bricks for temperature, and I'm quite confused. I don't know what a smoker really is, so its hard to understand for me. I read that keeping the temp up is very difficult, what do you do about that? Where do you put the brick, or a pan of water, or cast iron etc.?

Keeping the temp up is not all that difficult, once you understand thermometer placement, etc. Part of it is expectations. If I put 30lbs of cold pork in my smoker with a 500W heating element, I don't expect it to get up to temp quickly. It cooks just fine, low and slow is the way to go...

5. How do I know which smoker my husband needs as far as the digital one/original one etc.? I'm going by the rating on amazon, but I don't know what we do or don't need as I don't really understand what the whole unit is or does.

I have an Original with a PID. I did not have the PID initially. I turned out some fine eats without it. A PID just makes it easier. One of our digital owners will be along shortly.

I know I have more questions, thats all I can think of at the moment. But any advice/suggestions on how to use it or what to do, or words of advice is welcome!

Ask away!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

Hello, I just found this forum through the reviews on Amazon (where I'm looking to buy this) and I need some help. Please forgive me if I'm duplicating other questions. First of all, I'm the cook in the house, so I imagine I'll be the one using this. But my husband has always talked about a smoker (we used an old one in the past where he smoked a goose and it was oh so yummy!) and that he wants to smoke the stuff he brings home, plus, he always talks about making beef jerky etc. He has tried in the oven before, but it wasn't very good.

Even though you didn't ask about the beef jerky... You might consider the original and then adding an Auber PID controller after. Back to the jerky you will want a PID or other temperature control to maintain the low temperatures needed for jerky. I have never had jerky that was so good as the jerky that comes out of my Bradley Original with my home made temperature controller. My Soy Jerky recipe is here ... I did change it a small bit anyway from Nepas's recipe  ;D

John

Habanero Smoker

You may also want to take a look at the recipe site.
Recipe Site

This may answer many of your questions.
FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Iman2b!  I also found this place from reading reviews on Amazon.

I have the original 4 shelf and have had it about two months.  So, I don't have nearly as much experience as many others here.

I don't have an Auber PID and don't really need it for what I do - well, maybe I could have used it once.  It can definitely be handy for smoking jerky, sausage and salmon.  Normally, I just do 'big' stuff; pork butt and loin, brisket, chicken, turkey and cheese.  Cheese is another story.

Just take your time and look through the posts.  You've already gotten some good information.  And, as you will be told, smoking is addictive.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

HI Iman2b or should I call you FAITH.

I own the BDS6. The 6 racks digital smoker and I do own the PID. The PID is just a mean that allows you to control the temp more accurately in the smoker. Something you would need in your attempts to smoke better salmon and I hear Sausages (haven't tried sausages yet).

Members of this form have diffrent types of the Bradley smoker and we all have a commen denominator; the outcome is great food. You should decide on which type to buy based on personal issues but believe me all will come out good. The best part is that you can always count on the help of the great people here for assistance and guidance.

Welcome to the forum Iman

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tiny Tim

About the only thing I can add, is if you haven't bought yet, and would like to do business with a forum member rather than a faceless bulk retailer, I am a dealer, as is Begolf25.  Send me an e-mail or a PM, or somebody will post a link to Bryan's site....what can I say, in this economy, I've got to look out for myself. ;)

edited because my site that I had apparently no longer exists.

HawkeyeSmokes

About all I can add is that I don't see to much advantage buying the digital over the original unless you want a 6 rack. By the way, I do have the digital 6 rack.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. you are going to love this place. Everyone is here to help others be the best. To interject my own opinion, if you want to do salmon or jerky, and you have a small family, a 4 rack digital is probably best. Or if you want to have the best control and don't mind spending the extra money, go for the Original 4 rack and then purchase a Auber PID. However if you don't want to get really involved but you want to do sausage,salmon and jerky and you have a larger family or you entertain lots (because at a party this stuff goes fast) then the 6 rack digital is the way to go. Then you just have to decide if you want painted black or stainless steel. If you are going to have yours out doors mostly, then stainless is probably the best choice, but I would still bring in the smoke generator. These units are not that heavy, My OBS 4 rack without the smoke generator is only about 20 lbs, and the smoke gen, detaches easily.
Good luck with your choices and happy smoking.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Bet you didn't think you would get this much info so quick. It's kinda overwelming sometimes. Once you start smokin with your Bradley you will have the same feeling.

As you can see there is no bad choice in a Bradley smoker. Each are just a little different from the other, but once you start smokin and learn your smoker, you will know you made the right choice. It all comes down to what you want to do (smoke) in your Bradley.

Get the one that best fits your needs and play with it, then you can decide what you need to add to it to achieve your best smoke.

OU812

Welcome to the fun Iman2b

As has been stated many times there is no bad choice when it comes to the Bradley. I have the DBS6 and have done a few mods to get what I want/need out of this amazing unit. The reason I chose the 6 rack was to smoke summer sausage and the height was the selling factor for me. Gets the sausage farther from the heating element. I also have an PID, it helps when doing sausage.

I have done many smokes be for I got the PID and they all turned out great, sausage included. Just wanted a little more control of the temp.

As far as the smoke, you only need to smoke for the first 2 to 4 hr, depending how much smoke you like, the rest of the time in the smoker is cooking only with no smoke.

The added brick or cast iron pan is used as a heat sink to help with heat recovery after you open the door, I put mine under the V pan.

One other thing about clean up is I find that I need to clean the door seal and the mating surface with rubbing alcohol, otherwise it tends to stick.

Keep us posted on your choice and progress in the wounderfull world of smoking

lman2b

Wow, amazing responses, thank you so much!!!  I really really want to get one, just need to decide which is the best. I was going to show my hubby and make sure he was okay with it and have now decided against that! haha  Although he does not cook in the least, he talks about smoking the geese he brings home, or making beef jerky enough that I think he'll be thrilled with this! He has tried to do both before, and he needs a good smoker to get good results! 

Its our 10 yr anniversary next week so I think this is a nice present! (plus, I can't wait to smoke salmon in it!!! teehee) 

So now I just need to really look through all the products and figure out what works for us, then I'm sure I'll have many more questions when I'm ready to start!

Quarlow

Hey Hey did someone say smoked salmon.

Here is my last batch of salmon. That was my main reason for getting a smoker. We had a homebuilt one out of ply wood, but it was such a hassle. The "Bradley" is so easy it will amaze you. I can come home after work and set up is 2 mins. Pour some smoke to some chickens, switch them to the bar-b and dinner is done in 2 1/2 hours.

What, you don't want chicken tonight, well how about a stuff pork loin roast. Take your roast and filet it out flat, stuff it with, ooh say... dried apricots,pecans,raisins a box of stuffing mix and some maple syrup, roll it and tie it and then 2 hrs in the smoker you got this.

You will not be disappointed with your choice in the "Bradley".
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.