• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat Slicer?

Started by Helheim, October 06, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helheim

What is a good meat slicer for cutting raw semi frozen meat for jerky? Want to spend less than $1000.

Thanks

FLBentRider

I have a Weston supply/ Prago trade refurbished unit.

It works ok, if I had paid $300.00 for it, I would be dissapointed. but for $100.00 (in March '08) it has served me well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

I have a Chef's Choice 610 and there is too much gap between the part the meat rests on the the blade so the flank steak has to be just the right stiffness (state of frozenness) to cut jerky. Other than that it is good, don't know what I paid for it probably $100.

John

squirtthecat

I have a Nesco..  About 2 weeks old.  Somewhat disappointed with it.  (it's too light, under powered, same big gap problem as the one BigJohn has, can't slice real thin...)

Helheim

Has anyone tried the Hobart 610 or the Chef's Choice 668?

Helheim

I'm thinking about this one any comments? It says not for raw meat but I assume most of them say that.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/boxer-by-anvil-slr5012-12-manual-gravity-feed-slicer-1-2-hp/120SLR5012.html

FLBentRider

Quote from: Helheim on October 08, 2009, 01:21:46 PM
I'm thinking about this one any comments? It says not for raw meat but I assume most of them say that.

Since it is belt driven it may not have the torque to handle (partially) frozen meat, and the mention cheese.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

Depending on how much jerky you'll be making, there are many slicers in the <$200 range that are suitable.

I'll have to check the brand name of mine....I've had it for years, and it's all metal (and heavy).  I don't recall spending a fortune on it, but it's been a decade or more since I bought it.  I can cut meat thin enough to almost see through with it.

**It's a Rival slicer, apparently now vintage.  Apparently no longer supported with parts, manuals, etc.  Doesn't look anything like the stuff they make now.**

ArnieM

I have the Chef's Choice 610, like BigJohnT.  I find it works well for a $100 unit.  I also got the serrated blade and can do wafer thin slices of ham or beef (both cooked).  For raw, the meat should probably be partially frozen so that it's firm.

I've sliced partially frozen mozzarella (stiff), onions, tomatoes, ham, beef, whatever.  It hasn't yet run into anything it couldn't easily slice.  Clean up isn't that bad either.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Piker

I have used a Rival that I purchased many years ago for $50.00 and have not had a single problem with it and I make a lot of jerky. The only thing metal is the motor and blade,easy to clean and assemble. Piker