• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoke coming out of side of smoker

Started by parrottgary, October 23, 2009, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parrottgary

i have a problem ,i have more smoke coming out of the side of my smoker than is actually going in the smoker.i thought about putting gasket material between the bradley and the smoker but would like to know is there a reason this could be happening thanks

classicrockgriller

OU812

Sounds like you have your vent on the top closed to much.

You should have it at least half way open, if not more, all the time

OU812

Oh ya, welcome to the fun of smoking.

Also try to keep your smoker out of the wind.

Tenpoint5

As the others have questioned where do you have your vent? As most new Bradley smokers Think, Yes we have all done this, More Smoke Is Better, so I will Close the vent to get more smoke. This is in fact a bad thing. As you have noticed the smoke IS going to find a way out. The way out is the Smoke Generator opening. This escape route for the smoke will eventually destroy your SG. As almost everyone will tell you, you should keep your top vent open AT A MINIMUM 1/4 open. most run theirs 3/4 to full open. Even after the smoke is done ( You shouldn't need more than 1.5-3 hours of smoke on anything depending on your tastes) you should still leave your vent open. By closing the vent you trap the moisture inside the cabinet causing a reduction in heat inside the cabinet.

Also Welcome Aboard Gary!! Enjoy the forum.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

parrottgary

thanks alot guys,will try your ideas this weekend

KyNola

10.5 is 100% correct.  Smoke backing up in the generator is a sure sign that the vent needs to be opened more.  Otherwise it is going to destroy your generator.  Keep opening the vent until you no longer see any smoke coming from around the generator.

KyNola

pensrock

Welcome to the forum, the others got you covered. Keep the vent open, mine is almost always wide open and never more than 1/2 closed.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum parrottgary
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

muzzletim

I remember my first time with the Bradley I had smoke coming out everywhere, then I smoked for 8 hours besides! Wish I had known about the forum then! I agree open up the vent!!!
Tim

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum Parrotgary. You'll be alright, just stick with us. If the smoke is coming out the side, that just means you are new to this. We all did it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Welcome PG.  10.5 gave a very good explanation.  Very early on, I figured closing the vent most of the way would keep in the smoke and heat.  It sounded logical but was totally wrong.  It can lower the cabinet temp, really.  And you can wind up with condensation dripping on your food - not Good Eats. 

Also early on, I had thought about making a gasket, maybe 1/32 material, between the SG and the cabinet.  But, it hasn't been necessary after learning how to use the smoker properly.

As others have mentioned, I usually go 3/4 to full open no matter what I'm smoking.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

JGW

I'll second everyone's replies.   I always run the vent at least 1/2 open, and often times full open.

Hopefull Romantic

After all that has been said, you should know that, in this forum, you are in good hands.

Welcome aboard Parrottgary.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.