• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just a few things that I've been smoking.

Started by DjSaneR, October 26, 2009, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: DjSaneR on October 28, 2009, 12:30:58 PM
Ahh, I was under the impression that the FTC step was absolutely necessary.

DJ, there is nothing absolutely necessary when smoking a brisket except smoke and oh yes, the brisket.  FTC is entirely optional.  Even low and slow is not "necessary."  There is some absolutely knockout and tender brisket cooked at high temps for a lot less time than we can.   FTC is a way to extend the final cooking temp a while longer.  If you think you need it fine, but if you've low and slowed it, it will have been in the magic temps for long enough to be tender.  As long as you take it off at the proper temp. it will be tender.  It will never be butta' like a filet no matter how long you cook, or ftc it.  Totally different make up of meat fiber structure, totally different mixture of proteins, collagens, elastin, reticulin, fats, and other things I can't pronounce.  With that being said - there is no absolute as to how long a brisket will take to reach the temp you want.  Recently I had eight in a big trailer mounted rig that were 11-13 pounds each.  A couple were done in 13 hours, two in 14 hours, 2 in 15 hours and 2 in 16 if I remember correctly - point is that some took longer than others.  This was a rotisserie rig, so the meats were moving through all the temp zones within the cooker, so they all had the same amount of heat.  Since the possible variability, I will plan for the smoke to be complete at the longest time I would think it will take (usually 2 hours per pound) 30 minutes to an hour before the required feeding time.  If they finish before then, I just place them naked in a cooler to stay warm. until I need them.  Barbecue is all that ever goes in that cooler and boy does it smell good!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Pachanga

Caneyscud,

AMEN

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

DjSaneR

Thanks, Caney! Things are starting to make sense now.  :)
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer