• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another stupid question? Pork Ribs

Started by cutconcrete, October 30, 2009, 04:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutconcrete

Hey all, I don't want to look like the biggest idiot, but! I just opened up a package of pork ribs i bought two weeks ago and kept it the fridge in the vacuumed pack packaging that they came in and they smell funny? Now i am not that dumb and we do raise fresh pigs but is it normal for vacuum packed ribs to have a smell to them when you take them out of the package?
Remember rescue dogs need homes to, or at least that what my wife tells me!

FLBentRider

That is not normal.

They should not smell bad or funky.

I would throw them out.

If they are not past the date I would take them back.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

Sounds like they are bad.  Two weeks is along time to refrigerate meat.  If I'm not going to use meat within a day or two, I normally throw it in the freezer.

Having said that....I detect an off odor on anything that is cyro-pak'd.

ArnieM

Don't worry, you're not the "biggest idiot" around here.  ;D

As FLBR said, if you have any real doubt, chuck 'em or bring 'em back if you can.

Some of the cryo packed stuff can smell kinda funky.  Rinse in cold water.  Give 'em a rub in white vinegar and rinse again.  Dry them.  If they still smell funky, don't use them.  I've had cryo packed lamb that smelled awful when opened but it was still good after using the vinegar rinse.

If you're still doubtful, don't eat it.  You can't turn bad food into good food by cooking it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Two weeks is a long time for pork. I've had them go bad in less time than that.

Beef seems to last longer.

I don't know why.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

cutconcrete

Thanks for all the help. Right after i wrote the question i realized i should just throw them out and i did.  Guess i won't be doing ribs till next weekend!
Remember rescue dogs need homes to, or at least that what my wife tells me!

classicrockgriller

Just remember, You can't ask a stupid question on the forum......I've already ask them all.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 30, 2009, 07:59:13 PM
Just remember, You can't ask a stupid question on the forum......I've already ask them all.

I can vouch for CRG  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on October 30, 2009, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 30, 2009, 07:59:13 PM

I can vouch for CRG  ;D ;D ;D

Well you are second on that stat sheet. ;D ;D

DjSaneR

Quote from: cutconcrete on October 30, 2009, 04:47:23 PM
Hey all, I don't want to look like the biggest idiot

Cut, as others said 'there's never a stupid question', I have to agree.  I'm a complete newbie to the smoking world and have asked many questions, which I'm sure weren't very technical.  The folks on this forum have been incredibly helpful and informative.  I credit much of my smoking success to the help of the people here. 
Cheers,
Saner
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: DjSaneR on October 31, 2009, 05:47:58 AM
Quote from: cutconcrete on October 30, 2009, 04:47:23 PM
Hey all, I don't want to look like the biggest idiot

Cut, as others said 'there's never a stupid question', I have to agree.  I'm a complete newbie to the smoking world and have asked many questions, which I'm sure weren't very technical.  The folks on this forum have been incredibly helpful and informative.  I credit much of my smoking success to the help of the people here. 
Cheers,
Saner

I agree

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.