Curing time question

Started by JDNC, October 22, 2009, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Quote from: muzzletim on October 23, 2009, 09:40:27 AM
Three deer!!!! I can't even draw for one in New Mexico!!!!! I had to settle for a Oryx this year, just as good! I will try this.

Tim

Same here in AZ, lucky if we get drawn for it, and even luckier if we get one!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 23, 2009, 09:54:41 AM
Tim I promise that since you don't get to draw for a deer this year. I wont tell you that my family usually eats 5-6 deer each year. With the times being the way they are this year and feeding a family of 6. I will probably try to boost that up to 7 or 8 unless I find a family that needs it more than we do then its theirs

Not to rub it in, but we get 6 to 8 every year between me and my son.

We buy very little beef and we live in cow country.

I make Pastrami out of deer also, along with VCB, dried deer, summer sausage, snack sticks and jerky.

JDNC

OU812..same here in NC.  Plenty of deer, and between myself and two brothers we always have plenty ;D

I think the one thing I would do (I think 10.5 suggested this last yr) is to remove the bone from a deer ham as opposed to a pork ham.  I think after curing in brine I may wrap with twine to help hold it together before smoking.  Sometimes after removing the bone from a deer ham it wants to fall apart.  It will raise more questions as how long to leave in the brine for curing..but I'll cross that bridge later!

OU812

JDNC, after boning a piece of meat with many muscle groups in it I use netting to hold the meat together wile cooking. Just throwing that out there

JDNC

OU812,  It didn't even cross my mind..I'll give it a try, great idea!

KevinG

You guys need to chase some of them deer over our way.

muzzletim

And if you don't want to chase them, just shoot them and ship the meat!!!! ;D ;D

Tim
Tim

JDNC

KevinG & muzzletim,

I don't know about 10.5... but I get tired of driving 40mph afraid of hitting one during the rut.  I've had enough damage to vehicles to last me a lifetime.   I have them in the backyard, frontyard, my gunrange and most importantly my OBS. ;D

Tenpoint5

Same here I don't slow down just swerve for a head shot. Call the sheriff get a game tag and load em up. Figure I can get back some of my money that way with a little meat. Last one jumped in front of the truck caught him in the ribcage right at the top of the hood. took out my motor, hood and windshield then landed in the box. Let the county have that one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Heck, I'll gladly accept a round trip ticket to put some of my deer control techniques to work :D

dbrown1

I will have alot of deer questions soon, Nov. 11th-18th on my way to kill my first three deer...pretty excited
Usually I only get to kill Polar bear with a stick or shoot wolves from a helicopter ;D ;D ;D

Huntnfreak

I'd move back if I were you.  Life is good here in Minnesota and you can still put in for the draw and call it a vacation if you get drawn!