Bradley Smoker pucks

Started by smoke99, October 03, 2009, 06:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoke99

I am looking at buying a Bradley smoker, just wondering how long the wood pucks last? For a pork shoulder that takes 10-12 hrs to smoke at 120 degrees, approximately how many pucks would it take?

squirtthecat

I usually apply 3-4 hours of smoke, max. 9-12 pucks.  The rest of the time, the Bradley is just an oven.

I think after 5 hours, you are just wasting pucks, as the meat has cooked enough that the smoke won't penetrate..

pensrock

squirt got you pointed the right way there. 3-4 hours of smoke is all the is needed. 1 puck = 20 minutes of smoke.

NePaSmoKer

Same here. Only use 4 to 6 pucks when i do butts, shoulders, ribs.

If you do a 10-12 hour continuous smoke  in a BS you might as well eat a burt stump of wood.

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 03, 2009, 09:23:27 AM
Same here. Only use 4 to 6 pucks when i do butts, shoulders, ribs.

If you do a 10-12 hour continuous smoke  in a BS you might as well eat a burt stump of wood.

nepas

Absolutly.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

I put 4 hours of smoke (12 pucks) on butts and briskets, less on ribs.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Smoke99, welcome to the forum. If I read this right you are going to smoke your butt at 120? You might want to recheck that and maybe raise that to 220. You want an IT of 185 to 200 and you won't reach that at a cabinet temp of 120. What everyone has posted as far as smoke time is $$$$. Start your smoker out a little higher than 220 (say 250 to 260) cause your temp will drop when you put the butt in and then readjust to 200 to 220, 4 hrs of smoke, then till you get the IT you want. Post them pictures....Hope you have a great smoke.   CRG

smoke99

Thanks, 220 is what I try to cook them at, a slip of the finger on the first post. I have a all masonry smoker that I built, I use all wood for heat and smoke. I go through a lot of wood, that is why I was looking into a Bradly.

classicrockgriller

smoke, you won't be dissapointed.....you should be able to tell that just from the good feeling you get when you log on to the forum. Everybody here is happy with their Bradley and Bradley as a company is 1st class. Good luck in your decission.   CRG