Sausage tasting question

Started by watchdog56, October 22, 2009, 12:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Is there a way to taste sausage recipe without going through the whole smoke? I mean if I wanted to experiment with venison sausage but don't want to make a 5# batch and smoke it before I find out what it tastes like. I want to know can I mix my  meat up(no dirty minds here) and fry some up and add ingredients to it if necessary before I make a bigger batch? Would like to try it on summer sausage and hot dogs.

muzzletim

What the recipe books call it is a Quinelli (sp) test. I take a small ball of the raw meat and make a small patty. I fry it in a skillet. I do not use any oil or anything that might flavor the test. Then my wife and I both taste it to see if we need to add any seasonings.

Hope that helps!

Tim
Tim

Habanero Smoker

You could divide the recipe by 5 and make a one pound batch or by 10 to make a 8 ounce batch. Almost all spices and liquids can be divided in that way, the only exception I know of is chili powders. They can be halved or doubled, but when you multiply or divide by more for some reason the balance is thrown off.

Here is a link to a recipe converted: Recipe Converter that can help you with the math.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 22, 2009, 12:31:38 PM
Is there a way to taste sausage recipe without going through the whole smoke? I mean if I wanted to experiment with venison sausage but don't want to make a 5# batch and smoke it before I find out what it tastes like. I want to know can I mix my  meat up(no dirty minds here) and fry some up and add ingredients to it if necessary before I make a bigger batch? Would like to try it on summer sausage and hot dogs.

I do what muzzletim does and even take a taste test of raw meat. This way i know what i'm missing. Too much is better than not enough.

nepas

Tenpoint5

I'm with Rick and Tim on this one. Make your 5# batch, mix in your seasonings then fry up a small patty on the stove top. taste add more spices as needed to taste or stuff and run with it. If you want to see what it will be like with smoke place a drop of liquid smoke in the patty as your mixing the patty in your hand.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 22, 2009, 05:58:36 PM
I'm with Rick and Tim on this one. Make your 5# batch, mix in your seasonings then fry up a small patty on the stove top. taste add more spices as needed to taste or stuff and run with it. If you want to see what it will be like with smoke place a drop of liquid smoke in the patty as your mixing the patty in your hand.

This seems to work well for me too.  ;)

Habanero Smoker

watchdog56;

I misread your post. I didn't think you wanted to make up a large batch before testing. I do the same as the others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 22, 2009, 09:22:39 PM
watchdog56;

I misread your post. I didn't think you wanted to make up a large batch before testing. I do the same as the others.

Habs, I also misread watchdog56 post or at least the title. I thought he would be giving us some samples to taste and then ask the question. :D :D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

RAF128

I don't know about frying a patty.   We made about 80lbs of moose sausage a few weeks ago.   After we had the meat all mixed we made a couple of patties and fried it.    It tasted good.   We went ahead and stuffed the sausage into the casing, put it into a large homemade smoker and finished it to about 155.   The sausage was cured and meant to eat cool.  The finished product did not taste at all like the fried patties.