Brining time for a 6lb ham

Started by Norman, October 29, 2009, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

Having been given some Bradley Maple cure for my birthday I thought I would have a go and use it.

I have looked around the forum and can't see any suggested brining times using the Bradley Maple cure. I have a 6.6 ham currently learning to swim in the brine  solution but have no idea for how long. Any suggestions?  Its an off the bone ham in case that matters.

I think I can get te smoking times from the forum or (heavens forbid) m own experience.

georgeamer

Hi Hab...
First thanks for all the help you are giving me..with the number of users viewing so far it looks like your detailed answers are generating a lot of interest...

Here is a small 4.4 cu.ft. regrigerator I'm looking at to use as a cure box...

http://www.cooler-store.com/sanyo-sr4433s-44-cu-ft-counter-high-refrigerator-black-w-stainless-steel-door_7315_prd1
I have one in the garage that we use as an overflow fridge. Have had it for 5 years and no trouble.
It does not have an ice maker and all shelves are removable, including the crispers on the bottom.
The railing for the shelves is adjustable and go all the way to the top, so I could hang meat up to about 20" or so and there would still be room at bottom for a humidifier.
Costco normally sells it for about $125.00.
Like you, I don't want to screw around with an old used one, not knowing what I'm getting.
What are your thoughts? Do you see any knock off's?
George