• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking dried beans

Started by Farmer Tonn, November 02, 2009, 09:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Tonn

I have tried a soup made from smoked dried lentils. The lentils were apparently smoked, and then packaged with a 'how to cook' recipe. Has anyone tried this? We are organic farmers and store quite a few dried beans. I though it would be grand to make a smoked bean soup without the meat or smoked salt.

Suggestions

classicrockgriller

Hiya Farmer Tonn and welcome to the forum.

That is quite interesting and hope you achieve what you want.

Sounds like it would be a cold smoke, (no heat, just smoke)

I,m sure someone has tried that here and will helping you. Good luck!

Smokin Soon

I tried cold smoking some dried beans, and did not get too much smoke flavor. I save all leftover smokes and vac seal and freeze just for my wintertime bean concoctions. Beans slow cooked and simmered with any chopped up meats that have been smoked suck up the flavor very well. I use a big oval crockpot for the slow cooked beans. For a soup mix I would combine the recipe of choice and slow simmer with the smoked meat of your choice, and the nice smoke flavor will come through.

classicrockgriller

Something to try or think about is to soak your beans like you normally do
and cold smoke them on a mesh screen and then straight into the pot for
whatever you want to make. Is just a thought.

Farmer Tonn

Why cold smoke? We are thinking about vacuum packing the dried beans and selling them at the farmers' market, so a hint of 'toast' would be visually appealing.

classicrockgriller

Well that maybe out of my league, but if you come up with a formula for doing it make a post it would be interesting.

Farmer Tonn

Will let you know after my new whack of briquettes arrive via post. Think I'll try hot smoking first.

ArnieM

Hi FT.  I'd also like to see the result.  I wouldn't think they'd take in much smoke, bu then I've never tried it.  I did (cold) smoked almonds for the Iron Chef thing and they turned out pretty good.

Don't you normally soak before cooking?  I'd think that would take most of the smoke out of 'em.  Let us know how they come out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on November 04, 2009, 12:17:12 PM
Don't you normally soak before cooking?  I'd think that would take most of the smoke out of 'em.  Let us know how they come out.

I don't soak mine if I cook in the pressure cooker, but I do rinse first.   I'd be interested to hear how this turns out as well..

Farmer Tonn

We regularly hot smoke almonds (125 F) and sell them at market. This is what we do: pour 3 kg almonds into a large bowl. Drizzle with light oil (we use organic canola) and mix well. Add flour salt to taste. Place on a couple of cookie sheets and toast in a 250 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until they start to crackle. Cool and place on smoker racks. We have the ones with the fine mesh, but the almonds still tend to drop out of the sides, so I have cotton cheesecloth which I use over and over again, which I line each tray with before putting the almonds on. Place in preheated smoker with your choice of briquettes (I like cherry the best, but hickory and maple work too - just a little stronger and can become bitter). We smoke for 2hr 40 min with damper half open. When cooled, put the nuts in a sealed container and let them mellow for a few weeks. (when they first come out they taste a little like an ashtray - but not to worry).

Will try the beans next week and keep y'all posted.

ArnieM

Thanks for the almond info FT.  I did my first batch the other way around.  Smoked first and then into a spicy mix with canola.  Finally, on parchment in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.

I cut up some window screen to put on the OBS racks to hold 'em and it worked pretty well.  They went over well.  I'll have to give your method a try.
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

I have been pondering this question since I first seen it and I have come up with this thunk.
Pick the beans and while still fresh apply the 2 hours of smoke of choice then place in the dehydrator or what ever that you use to dry them. The drying process should allow the smoke time to sink into the bean before it completely dries out. Yes there will be some loss of smoke when
re-hydrating but the smoke that remains should be drawn deeper into the bean as the moisture is drawn into the bean. Hey if it doesnt work it sure sounded like a good idea at the time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I've never even seen a 'fresh' bean, ever.  Here I am, in Connecticut in November.  Where do I get a fresh bean?  :D :D
-- Arnie

Farmer Tonn

probably in Florida at this time of the year ;) I shelled and froze my 'fresh bean' seeds... so I can pretend that it isn't late fall up here in Ontario.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 05, 2009, 05:07:56 PM
I have been pondering this question since I first seen it and I have come up with this thunk.
Pick the beans and while still fresh apply the 2 hours of smoke of choice then place in the dehydrator or what ever that you use to dry them. The drying process should allow the smoke time to sink into the bean before it completely dries out. Yes there will be some loss of smoke when
re-hydrating but the smoke that remains should be drawn deeper into the bean as the moisture is drawn into the bean. Hey if it doesnt work it sure sounded like a good idea at the time.

Good thinking Chris, sounds like a winner.