• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke Box Temperature Questions

Started by Tim in AZ, March 06, 2005, 04:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim in AZ

Hi guys, new guy here.  I just got my Bradley last week, seasoned it and last night smoked some burgers before finishing them on the grill.  Excellent flavor!  

However, the smoke box seems to take quite a while to come to a good smoking temp (200+ degrees).  I found that it was taking an hour to reach 200 with the temp control in the middle.  That's with the top vent closed and about 65 degree outside temp (I love AZ winters [:D])  How does that compare with other folks?  Is it possible that the heating element isn't functioning properly?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim in AZ

Chez Bubba

Tim,

Although it is not unheard of for the heating element to malfunction, I don't think that's the case. That sounds about right to me. For further use, I would suggest you slide the temp more to the right & open up the top vent some. Ya gotta allow the moisture someplace to go.

How did you determine the temp of the box? If you were going by the in-door thermometer, does it accurately state the temperature when cold?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Tim wellcome to the forum. first thing NEVER close the top vent, you want to leave it open abot a 1/4 or more, as far as temp, crank it up a bit more, your temp slider about 3/4,  then when you hit your temp lower it a bit, the more you open to look or the more meat you have will take longer to bring up to temp. as much as you want to look dont,[:D]

Tim in AZ

I'll keep the vent partially open from now on and start with a higher setting.  I was using the in-door thermometer as my guide.  Before turning the BS on, it registered about 60 degrees which seemed reasonable to me, given the outside temp.

I'll be trying again today with a salmon fillet and some pork tenderloins.

Thanks for the quick replies!

whitetailfan

Hi Tim,
I agree that your temp slide was probably right for the temp you got to.  I move mine to about the 3/4 mark to get to about 220 here in Alberta that's summer temp as well.
Have fun with your smoker.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

3rensho

HI Tim,

I just did my first smoke with a BS, had the slider about 60% to the right (tad over half way) and it held a steady 210 degrees with the vent about one third open.  Ambient temp was 27.  Those AZ winters sound pretty nice.

Have fun,

Tom

Tom - Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 3rensho</i>
<br />HI Tim,

I just did my first smoke with a BS, had the slider about 60% to the right (tad over half way) and it held a steady 210 degrees with the vent about one third open.  Ambient temp was 27.  Those AZ winters sound pretty nice.

Have fun,

Tom

Tom - Smokin' in Switzerland
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[;)]
Welcome to the Forum, Tom!  Hope you let us now if there's anything special that gets smoked in Switzerland!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tim in AZ</i>
<br />Hi guys, new guy here.  I just got my Bradley last week, seasoned it and last night smoked some burgers before finishing them on the grill.  Excellent flavor!  

However, the smoke box seems to take quite a while to come to a good smoking temp (200+ degrees).  I found that it was taking an hour to reach 200 with the temp control in the middle.  That's with the top vent closed and about 65 degree outside temp (I love AZ winters [:D])  How does that compare with other folks?  Is it possible that the heating element isn't functioning properly?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim in AZ
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Forum!  Your experience seems pretty much par for the course.  Love those AZ winteres . . . I'm heading for the Caribbean on Wednesday to get away from New England winters!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

gotbbq

Tim,
When I started with my bradley i panicked that it took so long to get to temp.  They key is to relax.  All is cooking as it reaches temp.  Also suggest you use a 2nd thermometer to measure actual temp.  If cooler meat is near the door thermometer, it doesnt accurately measure box temp.  Have fun, the bs is a great machine[^][^][^]

gotbbq

MallardWacker

Welcome to the forum Tim, just checking I'm from Lake Havasu, graduated from High School there.  What parts R U...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...