• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thank you JJC from all of us...

Started by Oldman, March 06, 2005, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Hey all,
As most of you know we have two major projects under the way. One is the Static FAQ for this site. The next is part of that FAQ but it is as much in detail as the whole site. That is to find as many differant name for the same cut of meat that is used around the world.

JJC has spent so many hours on this that he is driving me crazy. Why? I got to come up with the pictures of each cut~~! Phew that has been a job too.

Nevertheless here is JJC work on beef:<hr noshade size="1">BEEF

Once slaughtered, a beef carcass is typically cut in half length-wise. The USDA recognizes 9 major sections (called primal cuts) of the carcass for wholesale purposes (see diagram):

Chuck, Rib, Short Loin, Sirloin, Round, Flank, Plate, Shank, and Brisket

INSERT combo diagram based on www.wsr3.com/beef/beef.html here, modified via color shading and B+W lines to show the 9 primal cuts and additional sub-primal cuts; I think your idea was to be able to click on any of the sections and have the listings below of individual cuts and their synonyms appear . . .

There are also many sub-primal cuts that are standardized by the USDA.  Below we list the different individual beef cuts one buys at the grocer or butcher shop—and their synonyms—based on the number shown on the diagram.  Also note that certain popular names for beef cuts may apply to more than one cut.

1.   Chuck primal – Blade sub-primal cuts

chuck eye roast, boneless chuck fillet, boneless chuck roll, chuck tender, Scotch tender
   chuck eye steak, chuck sizzler steak
   top blade roast, flatiron roast, top chuck roast, blade roast, chuck roast first cut, lifter roast,       triangle roast,
   top blade steak, flatiron steak, top boneless chuck steak, petite steak, lifter steak, book          steak, butler steak, chicken steak, butter steak, blade steak
   mock tender roast, medallion pot roast, fish muscle, fillet roast
   mock tender steak, fish steak, chuck fillet steak, chuck tender steak
   under blade roast, bottom chuck roast, California roast
   under blade steak
   7-bone roast, center cut pot roast, chuck roast center cut
   7-bone steak
   neck pot roast
   ground beef and stew meat

2.   Chuck primal – Arm sub-primal cuts

arm roast, arm pot roast, arm chuck roast, round bone pot roast
   arm steak, Swiss steak
   boneless shoulder roast, English roast
   cross-rib roast, Boston cut, English cut, bread and butter cut, shoulder clod
   short ribs, English-style short ribs, flanken

3.   Rib primal cuts

rib roast small end, standing rib roast, oven-ready roast, rib roast, first cut rib roast
   rib roast large end, standing rib roast, oven-ready roast, rib roast, second cut rib roast
   prime rib (ribs 7-12)
   ribeye roast (boneless prime rib), ribeye roll roast, Delmonico roast
   ribeye steak (slice from a ribeye roast), Delmonico steak, Spencer steak, beauty steak,          market steak, breakfast steak, griller steak, entrecÙte

4.   Short Loin primal – Top Loin sub-primal cuts

top loin roast, New York strip roast,shell roast, strip loin roast
   bone-in top loin steak, Club steak, Delmonico steak, strip loin steak, strip steak, Chip Club       steak, shell steak, country club steak, wing steak
   boneless top loin steak, strip loin steak, strip steak, New York strip steak, Kansas City          steak, ambassador steak, boneless club steak, hotel-style steak, veiny steak

5.   Short Loin primal – Tenderloin sub-primal cuts

tenderloin roast, whole filet, filet mignon roast, tenderloin tip roast
   tenderloin steaks, filet mignon, tournedos, filet steak, Ch,teaubriand, biftek. King steak,          medallion steak

6.   Short Loin primal – Crosscuts sub-primal cuts

Porterhouse steak
   T-bone steak

7.   Sirloin primal cuts

bottom sirloin butt
   top sirloin butt roast
   top boneless sirloin steak, sirloin steak, sirloin cap steak, culotte steak, shell steak, rump       steak, short cut rump steak, butt steak
   tri-tip roast, triangle roast
   tri-tip steak, triangle steak, culotte
   sirloin bone-in steaks (pin bone, flat bone, round bone, wedge bone), shell hip steak

8.   Round primal cut – Bottom Round sub-primal cuts

bottom round roast
   bottom round steak, Swiss steak
   standing rump roast
   boneless rump roast

9.   Round primal cut – Eye Round sub-primal cuts

eye round roast
   eye round steak

10.   Round primal cut – Top Round sub-primal cuts

top round roast
   top round steak
   round steak
   London Broil

11.   Round primal cut – Round tip sub-primal cuts

round tip roast
   kabob meat
   round tip steak, trimmed tip steak, ball tip steak, petite steak, sirloin sizzlers, sirloin fillet          steak, filet of sirloin, bottom sirloin steak

12.   Brisket primal cut – Brisket sub-orimal cuts

brisket
   corned beef
   stew meat

13.   Brisket primal cut – Foreshank sub-primal cut

cross-cut shanks
   shank knuckle

14.   Plate primal cut – Ribs sub-primal cuts

short ribs, English–style short ribs, flanken

15.   Plate primal cut – Beef Plate sub-primal cuts

skirt steak, outside skirt steak, inside skirt steak, Philadelphia steak, fajita steak, jiffy steak
   hanger steak, hanging tenderloin, hanging tender, butcher's steak
   pastrami is usually made from plate meat
   stew meat and ground beef

16.   Flank primal cuts

flank steak, London Broil, jiffy steak, flank steak fillet
   ground beef
<hr noshade size="1">

Give us another month and you all will have something to be proud of as each of you has contriputed to this effort. I'm sure it will be ghosted for years to come.

Again JJC much thanks from the group in your effort.

After these first two are done I will again be calling upon the Bradley Team to start up again with our gleaning etc....

Also remember it would really  help if you post a recipe etc. to have a picture included. If you don't have a place to post a picture send it to me.... however, don't make me search the board for your recipe to link up with your picture. Send the recipe to me along with the picture to: E-mail Me Here It is that simple~~!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

WOW john good job, just have one? are you having any nightmares? with all that beef , are you being chased br dead cows at night? LOL [:D]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />WOW john good job, just have one? are you having any nightmares? with all that beef , are you being chased br dead cows at night? LOL [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, but let's just say that I can't look a round steak in the eye again, get my drift???[;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Olds is way too kind--he's the one doing most of the work. He is correct, though, in pointing out that I am driving him crazy . . . [:D]  We just wanted to get the Beef Cuts thing out to people for suggestions, additions, questions, etc. before we moved on to Pork, Lamb, Poultry, and Fish.

If any of you--especially our international members--have additional synonyms to suggest, please let me know either in the forum or via e-mail.

What Olds has posted is a work-in-progress.  Don't assume that it is mistake-free or sacrosanct.  Any suggestions, from the sublime to the monumental, will be greatly appreciated. [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Any suggestions, from the sublime to the monumental, will be greatly appreciated.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> <b>Amen!</b>

At this point I now have photos for everything up to number four. Phew~~! With the exception of a <b>Neck Pot Roast</b> If anyone got a picture of this please E-mail it to me--thanks!  

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Ok just to let you all in on why it this will take some time consider the following information. Each of these comes from the same cut but are called by different names. Next that cut can be modified!

<b>Chuck primal – Blade sub-primal cuts</b>

<b><font color="red">Chuck Eye Roast</font id="red"></b> is the main catagory name. The others are names used for the same cut. But look at the two pictures. In the first one you can see the "eye" and it is a Chuck Eye Roast that I would know, but the second one is a clean "eye". From what I'm seeing not only do names change depending upon where you live in the world, but also how the piece is cut.
boneless chuck fillet,
boneless chuck roll,
chuck tender,
Scotch tender
Medallion Pot Roast <b>aka</b> Beef Chuck Mock Tender Roast <b>aka</b> Fish Muscle!

The problem is Medallion Pot Roast which is also a Beef Chuck Mock Tender Roast which is also a Fish Muscle are all called by different names but come from the same cut as a beef chuck eye roast.

I like things that are round to go into round holes. Those that are square go into square holes. So what I think I'm going to do is modify JJC lay-out just a little.

Each section will have a drawing of a cow and the section will be high-lighted to reflect the catagory. For example:

<b>Chuck primal – Blade sub-primal cuts.</b>
(Now this term seems to be universal. So with that said it will become the foundation for the lay-out.)

Next each cut from this catagory and their varying names will be listed below this universal title. Next to each name there will be a very small clickable thumbnail.

This is the only way I can see at the moment in my mind's eye of this all coming together in an easy to understand format...

Please if anyone has any suggestions now it the time to speak up!

Oh my head... I think I'm going to grap a warm brandy and a cold beer.

Olds

oguard

Good job John and Olds!This makes describing the different cuts of beef much easier[:)]All your work is greatly apprieciated[:)]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><b><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></b></font id="Comic Sans MS">
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

St. Helens Smoker

Just want to thank you both for all your hard work and effort. What you have shared thus far, is outstanding IMHO...thanks again folks!!

Kummok

Dang! You guys do GREAT work!! This looks pretty exhaustive....whatta you do in your SPARE time...rewrite building codes?!?!?[:D][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Oldman

Phew done with the Chuck section at last...at least I hope so. I have 36 pictures at the moment. What is slowing me down is I've never been a butcher so I have to check and re-check then cross check with differant search engines to make sure what go where.

Tonight my wife came in my office and started to just laugh at me.... something about how I always seem to stick my foot into my mouth... LOL!

Where that said, Good night Miss Gracey!

Olds

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Phew done with the Chuck section at last...at least I hope so. I have 36 pictures at the moment. What is slowing me down is I've never been a butcher so I have to check and re-check then cross check with differant search engines to make sure what go where.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds,
Steve Graves aka Rumrunner is a retired butcher.  He has a web site where you can ask any question you want about cuts of meat, etc.  He is a super nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and best of all its free.  I bet he would even converse with you on the phone and answer questions.  He's in Ft. Meyers.  Anyway the web adress is//www.ask-a-butcher.com  HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

As we say in the gaming world...Tanks!  If I hit the wall I will call him. Or should I say when I hit the wall~~~ [:D]
Olds

Olds

Cold Smoke

Great work gentlemen!! [:D][:D]

Cold Smoke

humpa

Olds & John.....Nice job!!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA