• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker parts cleanup

Started by twl, November 07, 2009, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twl

Guys & Gals, For months now I have been suffering with long cleanups. Say, after smoking ribs, bacon, ham, even chicken wings, I really hate the clean up. I've tried soaking overnight in soapy water, brushing with brass brush, oven cleaner and it just takes way too long. What are you folks doing? Has anyone tried steam cleaning? Is the steam cleaner in the Sausage Maker catalog any good?  There just has to be a better way.
twl
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

FLBentRider

Are you talking about the racks or the V-tray ?

For the racks, I put a Hi-temp screen (available from yardandpool.com) under everything I smoke.

A quick soak and light scrub is usually all the screens and racks need.

As for the V-tray, putting a disposable foil pan on the lowest rack can keep stuff from cooking on it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

I give everything (racks & v-tray) a coat of Pam cooking spray before I smoke...  Then it all (racks & v-tray) go into the dishwasher in whatever state of funk they are in.  Run the 'rinse' cycle once or twice, then run it w/ soap in "Pots & Pans" mode.   Everything comes out fine..   I use Bubba pucks to push the final wood pucks out, and I even toss them in the silverware door of the dishwasher every 3 or 4 smokes.

You're not cleaning the interior walls/door of the Bradley itself, are you??

JoeHifi

I usually cook one or two racks at a time and put a cookie sheet on the lowest rack.
That keeps the V tray clean. Or at least relatively spot free.

As for the racks, they fit in the dish washer.

Joe

Hopefull Romantic

I do what STC does regaring rubbing the racks with oil before placing anything on them. I never used the other methods described here (but they seem well worth the try) but cleaning the racks was never a problem. As for the V tray, I soak it in boiling water with some detergent and Viola, it is back almost new after some medium scrubbing.

None of us here washs the internal walls of the smoker or the door. That is part of the tower seasoning. We do however was the door seal every couple of smokes with rubbing alcohol and the part that it touches on the smoker. That is needed so that the seal does nbot stick to the tower and ripe it while trying to open the door.

Some also take the vent door off and clean it and the part of the smoker underneath it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 08, 2009, 08:25:23 AM
I do what STC does regaring rubbing the racks with oil before placing anything on them. I never used the other methods described here (but they seem well worth the try) but cleaning the racks was never a problem. As for the V tray, I soak it in boiling water with some detergent and Viola, it is back almost new after some medium scrubbing.

None of us here washs the internal walls of the smoker or the door. That is part of the tower seasoning. We do however was the door seal every couple of smokes with rubbing alcohol and the part that it touches on the smoker. That is needed so that the seal does nbot stick to the tower and ripe it while trying to open the door.

Some also take the vent door off and clean it and the part of the smoker underneath it.

HR

How do you get her to stay in the boiling water?  (The red text above. ;D )

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tiny Tim on November 08, 2009, 10:37:17 AMHow do you get her to stay in the boiling water?  (The red text above. ;D )

I was kind of wondering about that.  My father had a cousin named Viola and she wouldn't have cooperated with such nonsense at all.

Hopefull Romantic

I cant get anything past you guys.  ;D

It was a typo, I meant VIOLA, TADA....

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

3rensho

Is that like voilĂ  ?? 

I just chuck everything in the dishwasher.  Once in a while there will be a few black specks on the v-pan or grates but a quick brush takes care of them.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

I have a Viola. I can post a pic if you like.

I've never tried to clean anything with it though...

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!