Mounting Moose Antlers

Started by oakville smoker, January 29, 2010, 05:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

This has nothing to do with smokin but I figured since there are so many hunters here I might get some good advice
My staff guy that works for me out in the Maritimes shipped me a set of moose antlers a few years ago as a house
warming gift.  Its a long story, maybe some day I will figure out how to tell in a post

I regress

They have been sitting behind the bar for 3 or 4 years now
They are not huge but big enough
I tripped over them searching for some adult beverages back there
It got me thinking I should mount these babies, maybe use them for a coat rack at the front door
But I have no idea how to mount them

Any suggestions or advise would be awesome, they are still attached the skull
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

Oh.....  You can smoke them.

I'm sure NePas will be along shortly with the appropriate picture.   ;)

hal4uk

Do you by any chance have a '73 Cadillac ElDorado?
I have an idea...  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

Wow, moose antlers must be huge. I've never done any taxidermy, but I've mounted my deer skulls on a wooden platform. I imagine you could expand on that idea and get it up off the floor and onto the wall. I'm not sure how strong the skull will be, trying to hang coats off of it, you may just want to screw the antlers to a wood backing. If your going to try taxidermy you'll need a hide - I hear they're not cheap if you don't have it already.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Piker

Do what is called a euro mount. the skull is cut at the proper angle to fit on a flat decorative placque and then mounted on wall. If skull is gone except the small skull plate there are kits to buy in sporting good stores that you do yourself and look pretty good I have done a few of them my self. Piker

oakville smoker

Thanks
I will snap a pic of these things
Taxidermy....   NOT

ps   they wont fit in my DBS    :P
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Kummok

This pic isn't as close as I'd like for mounting detail but will share it anyway with hopes that it will help. This is a "non-typical" rack (63") and is mounted directly to wood plaque and covered with soft suede. Mounting has been very secure....They're pretty heavy and are actually bigger than they appear in the pic....camera was about 20' away when snapped...a perspective thing ;) Been through many earthquakes and haven't fallen so far.

oakville smoker

YOWSER Kummok
Do these things talk to you when you have had too much to drink ?   LOL
I am going to give this a try
Its a novelty thing for me since I did not hunt this thing but I think moose antle coat rack could be really unusal and rather cook

Kummok

Haven't had "too much to drink" for many many years OS, but they do indeed talk to me anyway....mostly they say, "I still have relatives out in the Bush and they are still very tasty. Come and get 'em!". Hope the mounting works out for you....my Stetson rack is a couple of really nice mule deer mounts!