• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HEY GRANDPA WHAT'S FOR SUPPER

Started by Sauce Bauce, March 08, 2005, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauce Bauce

<font face="Arial"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">HEY GRANDPA, WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?

Well, today old grandpa is firing up the Bradley smoker and is smoking an 8 pound turkey breast.  I put it on about 9:15 AM CST and figure it should be ready at around 2:15 PM.

I am smoking the breast using alternating woods, hickory and maple.  I soaked the turkey all day Monday and Monday night in brine consisting of honey, maple syrup, lime juice, garlic powder, ground cloves, bay leaves, kosher salt, black pepper and a secret ingredient, a liter of Sierra Mist and water.

After the brining period I started the warm-up of the Bradley and then removed the breast and rinsed it thoroughly and patted it dry with paper towels.  I put a generous amount of butter under the skin with a little Season All seasoning.  I then rubbed the skin with butter and olive oil before rubbing in some Cavender's Sesoning and Season All Salt.  I placed the breast on a vertical chicken stand to hold the breast in a good position for smoke to surround the meat and as the stand absorbs heat it will be conducted into the cavity of the breast allowing for an even cooking temperature.

I set the Guru for a meat temperature of 160°F and a pit temperature of 210°F.  Now the rest is up to the Bradley, the Guru and Raptor, smoke and heat. I am planning on at least a 5 hour smoke at 210°F.  Ambient temperature today is in the 40'sF which may affect the total cook time but I can wait.  After the meat reaches 160°F I will remove the breast from the smoker and wrap it in Aluminum foil, the wrap that in a thick towel and place in a cooler (FTC) for approximately 2-3 hours.  Magically at around 5:00PM supper will be ready!  Nanny is going to fix her delicious squash casserole and a green bean casserole to go along with it.

YUM – YUM!

Life Is Good!</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

JJC

Sounds fabulous, Sauce!  And hey, congrats on your promotion! [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Sounds fabulous, Sauce!  And hey, congrats on your promotion! [:)]

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Arial"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">Thanks John!

It sure turned out great.  Some of the best smoked turkey I have ever eaten.  I can't believe how things went exactly as planned.  We were at the supper table at 5:00 just as we had planned.  We just had to stop eating or bust.  Lots of left over turkey for some super turkey sandwiches over the next few days.

The FTC was 2 1/2 hours and when I was cutting the breast off the bone it was so hot I couldn't touch it.  That is the most amazing thing to me. And, the juices were plentiful all through the meat it was so tender and moist.

Looking forward to the next time!

Don</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

jaeger

Bauce,
   Sounds like another proven recipe for the enjoyment of everyone!

Thanks for posting your plans, recipe and results! The Bradley is a great smoker and cooker, but it's the extra effort and creativity of people like you that provide the excellence and excitment.

Nice job Bauce!  [;)]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Oldman

Sauce next time you do one can you take a few pictures and we will add it to the recipe collection?

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!