Venison sausage?

Started by watchdog56, November 25, 2009, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I plan on making venison sausage this weekend. I will be using Cabela's smokehouse sausage kit. I am only making 10 lbs so I will have to adjust mixture accordingly. Can I stuff the casings Friday night and leave in frig overnight and then smoke Sat. morning? The kit comes with casings already. Do I need to poke holes in the casings? If so do I poke the holes Friday night or before they go in smoker?

KevinG

It's ok to leave them in the fridge overnight. Poking the casings is usually only done with the synthetic ones so that when you twist em to tighten them up there's a place for the air to go.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

watchdog56

NePaSmoKer

Cabelas seasoning are made by PS Seasonings and are really good.

What size are you doing? When i do sticks i poke a hole on the end just after the tie off so the air escapes when stuffing. I dont poke the larger casings eithe collagen, synthetic or natural.

nepas

watchdog56

will be doing summer sausage.

drano

I always grind/stuff one day and smoke the next.
If those are the big 3 inch summer sausage casings, it will take lots of time to reach 152 IT.  I've gone over 12 hours to get them up to 152 w/ only 3 sticks in the smoker. 
Because of this, my next batch will be made w/ slimmer casings so they will get up to temp quicker.

get smokin
drano